1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and a Colt Government XSE. Both started giving me a problem recently. I observed the same problem using 4 different mags in both guns with factory and reload ammo. Both guns are not locking back on empty magazines when shooting free hand.

Both guns and all four mags lock back perfectly when shooting from a supported bench position. A little investigation lead me to discover the mags can be pushed about 1/16" farther into the frame. The two photos below show the movement of a magazine.

Any suggestions to correct this problem? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Pretty grips.

The EGW Higher Mag Catch will hold the magazine 0.020" higher http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=175&pg=1.

However, I don't believe this is the cause of your failures-to-lock-back. Personally, I would attempt to further diagnose the problem by removing the slide then slowly inserting the magazine (with the slide stop in place) and observe how the magazine follower engages the slide stop. If all seems normal, I'd put the slide back on without the recoil spring, insert the magazine, and pull the slide back slowly to observe if the mag catch rises fully into its notch in the slide. The results of your observations could inform your next steps.

My long distance guess is you have weak magazine springs that are not pushing the slide stop up into full engagement quickly enough. Having said that, it could be a number of other things.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and a Colt Government XSE. Both started giving me a problem recently.
With four different mags in two different pistols??
when you say "recently" ...You mean the didn't have the problem before??

has your grip/hold changed??

I had the same problem..it was my support hand thumb interfering with slide stop enough to prevent slide lock

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you Steve and Cappi. I appreciate the advice and will try both suggestions.

The grips are highly figured Koa from Raasco. I think they are gorgeous. The grain looks semi-transparent in sunlight.

My grip may have changed slightly because I have a large scar on my left thumb. It does not have normal touch sensation.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts