1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I am sorry but I son't see any reason to port a 45acp. I find old ugly to be easy to shoot. If you are new to semiautomatic pistols it does take a little time to get used to the violence of the slide action. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have had Magnaport do porting for me on revolvers and shot guns over the years and they do super good work.Close to home can make an appointment drop it off on a Sat. early and pick it up in a couple hours.After all that, I have had a Springfield V-16 that the porting was a pain to clean as all porting IS on any gun IMO. I tried it, didn't like it and it really doesn't do much except dirty up your gun until you get to the big recoil(high pressure)stuff.Neat to watch the flames shoot up about a foot in low light though.JMHO-YMMV.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Hello camacho;

No reason to do this to a 1911 in .45ACP.

"Comp-ed" guns came into favor for game-playing with the .38 Super, to speed up the shot-to-shot recovery, not because the guns had overmuch recoil or were uncomfortable to shoot.

Magna-Porting was originally done to big bore revolvers, in order to reduce muzzle whip and felt recoil.
The effect is similar to that provided with a compensator, though Magna-Porting is a less-thoroughgoing approach, made necessary by the limited options available for modifying a revolver barrel compared to a semiauto pistol barrel-slide combination. Magna-Porting can be done to a semiauto pistol via several approaches, including the use of an extended barrel with the "ports" out in front of the slide, or with a standard barrel by additionally cutting through the top of the slide, to "vent" the ports cut into the underlying barrel.

A few folks DID get comps put on their .45ACP 1911s, but the consensus view is that the effect is minimal in that caliber. (The .45ACP being a low pressure cartridge, there's less "oomph" for the comp to dissipate.)

I'd suggest that the whole concept may be a liability in a gun intended for self defense, since there is unavoidable upwardly-directed muzzle flash, or at least upwardly-directed debris from firing, with each shot, either of which may interfere with subsequent visual target acquisition.

Best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had it done on my S&W 457 .45auto and while it is a nice job and looks "impressive" I suppose, I would not do it again. Not much effect when shooting it. As said above there seems to be little reason to have it done on a 45auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts