1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a closed top magazine pouch (you know, with a snap) to supplement my current open top mag pouch. While out in the woods a few weeks ago I lost a magazine out of the open top pouch, :( so I would like the extra retention of a snap top. So, what top-quality holster makers produce a snap-top mag pouch? (I'd rather not go into "off the shelf" leather, unless I had to)

P.S. the mag pouch was made by a very reputable custom holster maker and the tension screws were all the way tight. Its a great pouch, however I realize the overall concept of the open top pouch isnt the best for crawling around in the brush.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Chase...I've never lost a mag, maybe just lucky! Try a Police uniform/supply store if you have one around. Many departments require closed mag pouches.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On thing that I've noticed about mag pouches is that if you're carrying a spare mag in an open topped pouch on your support side, you have to conceal the mag as well. Here in Texas where it's either blowing like a sonufagun from the south or blowing like a sonufagun from the north (wind calm? That's anything less than 20 knots!) you have to ensure that your support side cover garment doesn't get flipped up by a gust as well as being extremely cognizant of your strong side.

One solution that I found is a black canvas pouch from Gun Leather, Inc. They are in Fort Worth, TX and they make a pouch (with a top secured by velcro) that can hold either a magazine or a knife. They make several sizes and I have one for my Glock double-wides as well as one for my 1911 single stacks. It slides onto my belt, and what I do is mount it ahead of my holster (usually a VM2) on my strong side.

This way I only have to be concerned with one side of my body vis-a-vis the wind, and it leaves my free hand to hold packages when I'm blasting in and out of WallyWorld. Yes, in a tac reload this setup would be slower, and there is the trade-off. But if a gust does unexpectedly pop my cover garment, usually all anything one would see would be what looks to be a knife pouch.

Sorry, I don't have the website but I'd bet you can find them through google.

T'ain't a perfect solution but I hope this helps.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts