1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some 8 rnd. Chip Mc power mags. They will not stay in the gun when firing or working the action with a loaded mag. They drop down about 1/4" and tie up the works. Was thinking that maybe the mag latch is worn but the originl 7 rnd. factory (Auto Ord.) works just fine. This is the second batch of CMC mags to act this way for me in the gun. I'm more then willing to order new parts if that's the problem. But the fact that the factory mag works makes me not want to spend money needlessly. I'm about at wits end. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like the mag catch is not fully engaged in the slot in the mag. You can check that by visually inspecting the mag catch after you seat the mag. If the side of the catch opposite the button (the part on the right side of the gun that looks like a fat keyhole) is not flush with the frame, then there's your problem.

A worn catch wouldn't do that. If the catch was worn, likely what would happen is that the mag would fully seat and lock, but still rattle slightly up and down in the well.

I have a Llama .380 that is built along the lines of the 1911. The issue mag seats normally, but the after-market mag I got for it needs an extra-effort "Tom Selleck punch" to seat it. You might try that to see if that seats them.

In case you might be wondering, I don't have this problem with either of my 1911s, since I use only the Colt issue mag that came with the gun, and GI issue mags.

Unless money is no object, I'd try that before ordering more stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts