1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my magazines having to be pulled from the pistol instead of dropping free. Do I need to forget the after market ones [which are the only ones I have] and switch to Browning, or is there a fix? Thanks in advance.
Clay

·
Registered
697 Posts
Clay,

The magazine disconnect impairs the ejection of empty magazines. Some folks have some luck by polishing the front surface of the magazine where the disconnect lever hits it. They also may polish the disconnect lever also. A lot of folks just remove the darn thing, improving trigger pull also.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Does your pistol have the magazine disconnector in place? If so, it could be holding the magazines and keeping them from dropping free. Some aftermarkets are dimensionally just different enough to not fall freely, but I don't know that to be the case with your pistol from your message. I have seen the sear spring hinder magazines dropping free as well. It is probably the first thing mentioned, but could be a combination of any or all of these things.

What stocks do you have on the pistol? I have seen some Pachmayer Signatures prevent magazines dropping free if tightened down.

Best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clay,

Your magazines are fine. The disconnector safety is holding the magazines in...if you want drop free magazines you'll have to have it removed. Your choice...

Wes

Originally posted by Clay in Mo:
I am having problems with my magazines having to be pulled from the pistol instead of dropping free. Do I need to forget the after market ones [which are the only ones I have] and switch to Browning, or is there a fix? Thanks in advance.
Clay

------------------

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dear Clay,

Some HP'ers, like myself, think the magazine disconnect is a feature. Thus, having the magazine not fall free could be desireable in many situations.

If you choose to leave the disconnect in place, you may wish to ignore the fact that they don't drop free. Too, if I am not mistaken, just shaking the pistol downward as you hit the mag. release will cause the mag. to fall out by itself.
Either, way your reloads will be slowed very little , if at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts