1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a beginners question, and I'm certainly not a beginner, but I'll ask it anyway. I have a FM Hi Power 9mm that I carry as a duty piece. I know that the problem is really not with the gun, nor is it a function problem. Just really annoying. I have the original mag and 2 MegGar mags. The problem is, when they are fully loaded (13rds) and inserted in the gun, the cartridges rattle in the mag. Is there anything I can do to help with this (problem). I've tried everything I know to do to no avail. I'm going crazy 馃お馃樀 I CAN'T STAND RATTLES!!!!!???

Registered
What an interesting thing to look at...
I always thought that was slide/frame rattle, which I have noticed to different degrees in eight High Powers, so I quickly set off to prove it.

When I shake full magazines (10, 13, 15) there is no rattle.
When I press the top round down slightly, I hear your rattle.

thinking out loud...
When the magazine is inserted, the top round comes in contact with the slide which is why you need to remove the magazine to remove the slide. When I push the slide on with a magazine fully inserted, I can see and feel contact with the top round. I have no idea why the magazine rattles when this contact occurs!

Now I have to get some different guns out!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I have other guns with double stack mags that don't rattle. I have got to figure this out. I thought it might be the mag spring not putting enough pressure on the rounds causing them to get out of alignment, but it still feeds. I swear I don't know what to do.

Administrator
I've always noticed mag rattle with loaded Hi-Powers. Doesn't affect function but it does sound a bit disconcerting.

Registered
Similar to the sound of a pump shotgun being charged, the magazine rattle is a design feature incorporated by Dieudonn茅 Saive with the intention of putting the fear of god in the enemy.

Registered
How old are your magazine springs - and do you leave them fully loaded constantly? Do the last 2 or 3 rounds feed 100% of the time? There should not be any way the cartridges can rattle in the magazine is the spring is up to spec.

Registered
How old are your magazine springs - and do you leave them fully loaded constantly? Do the last 2 or 3 rounds feed 100% of the time? There should not be any way the cartridges can rattle in the magazine is the spring is up to spec.
It isn't (I'm pretty sure) magazine springs. I can duplicate the rattle with new and old mags, those that are always loaded and those that never are in three different sizes.

Registered
I think that regardless of spring pressure, in 9mm double stack mags in particular, the pressure is mostly on the back end of the cartridges, so the more rounds in the stack, the more space between the front ends of the cartridges. They're not just loosely 'rattling', they're more 'wobbling', really. In the magazines I have noticed this in, I have found that bumping the baseplate and/or the back wall of the mag with the heel of my hand often reorients the stack enough so that it doesn't rattle.

Premium Member
I think that regardless of spring pressure, in 9mm double stack mags in particular, the pressure is mostly on the back end of the cartridges, so the more rounds in the stack, the more space between the front ends of the cartridges. They're not just loosely 'rattling', they're more 'wobbling', really. In the magazines I have noticed this in, I have found that bumping the baseplate and/or the back wall of the mag with the heel of my hand often reorients the stack enough so that it doesn't rattle.
I've done that many times and it generally works. 'The rattle' is caused by the follower tilting more than the angle of the top round, leaving several rounds 'loose' at the nose end in the middle of the stack. Sometimes smacking the base plate will reorient the follower to lessen the effect.

Registered
The bullets in My Ak mag rattle sometimes.
In my Glock
Viking
And ... In my hi power.

Not all the time though.
Sometimes if I put a round, or remove a round. The rattle go off. It's a bullet thing don't know why

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Registered
I believe 1saxman's explaination is on the mark. Remember the 9mm case is not a straight walled case, it is tapered. When you stack tapered items in a straight column, you wind up with very small gaps at the small end. When the magazine is inserted into the pistol the top round is compressed against the stripper rail on the bottom of the slide. and that puts pressure on the widest portion of the round which is the rear of the case. The front of the rounds then have wiggle room within the magazine. One of reasons you find larger capacity 9mm mags are for things like the MP5 are curved.

Registered
I have a couple of rattle mags. Once loaded hold the mag on the side and firmly rapping the flat rear surface on the palm of the other hand gets the follower aligned and rattle goes away.

Registered
My 13 round mags have the rattle however my 15 round mags don't. I don't know the answer but the 15 round mags are for carry since they don't rattle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts