1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, after looking at 26 pages of early posts and doing a search, I came up with nothing resembling my question. So here goes...I got an extended mag release from Dillon a few years ago, dropped in, and didn't think anything of it. Then while pin shooting I noticed that while changing mags in a hurry, I pushed the release hard, and the mag was captured above the catch point on the mag, until I stopped squeezing. Has anyone else had this happen and how can I tune my release? I didn't compare stock/extended, and this looks to be stainless, so if any file/stone work needs to be done...is it doable by hand?

Thanks,
Roy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sure, its part of fitting the mag release. Lock the slide back and look down the magwell. Depress and hold down the mag release. That material that is not flush with the frame (or nearly so) is trapping the mag. Make that material not be there. Go slow, testing by holding down the mag release and inserting an empty mag and allowing it to drop free. Stop when it does.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Mag release catching the mag

If your extended mag release is pushing the inside catch too far into the mag well, it may catch the mag as described. You may be able to adjust the depth
and prevent the mag ledge from protruding too far into the frame.

Take the mag catch apart, and you will notice the mag post and the spring. You may be able to place a small piece of metal in the bottom of the empty mag catch tunnel, to prevent the mag post from traveling too far into the frame.
It is all trial and error, so finding a small piece of metal that fits inside the mag catch tube that is very thin is key. I think I used a small thin portion of a nail on one gun, and it worked fine after finding the right thickness......
If it doesn't work, simply remove the extra added metal you are using as a "stop."

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I only use the slightly extended,not the paddle type.I just taught myself to push the required amount,which isn't much.A normal release causes me to roll the gun in my hand,with the extended I just need to move my thumb down to it and with a little push from the tip of my thumb the mag drops.If I try pushing any further my thumb buries into the grip and the gun starts rolling in my hand.I use EGW's so they may be relieved more,if I push far enough to trap a mag it gets uncomfortable on the thumb and the gun is cocked like a std release.It really is an effortless move,my safety takes more effort to snick off.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
If your extended mag release is pushing the inside catch too far into the mag well, it may catch the mag as described. You may be able to adjust the depth
and prevent the mag ledge from protruding too far into the frame.

Take the mag catch apart, and you will notice the mag post and the spring. You may be able to place a small piece of metal in the bottom of the empty mag catch tunnel, to prevent the mag post from traveling too far into the frame.
It is all trial and error, so finding a small piece of metal that fits inside the mag catch tube that is very thin is key. I think I used a small thin portion of a nail on one gun, and it worked fine after finding the right thickness......
If it doesn't work, simply remove the extra added metal you are using as a "stop."
I wonder why no one has ever produced a mag catch lock with an over length stud for fitting?

ETA: Never mind, I just looked at a mag catch...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts