1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Does anyone make a reduced pressure mag release spring? It takes nine pounds of pressure to release the magazine in my stainless target model. This isn't so bad when using your right thumb, but as a lefty, it's hard to push with my left index fingertip. I've seen larger and longer mag release buttons, but I don't think those would really solve the problem, and they would create another one because they could interfere with my trigger finger. Aside from finger exercises, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rusty

·
Registered
645 Posts
RV8 -

I am a lefty also and used a spring I got from Dawson Precision (www.dawsonprecision.com or (512) 260-2011).
The new spring seemed lighter in weight and did the trick.

This morning at the local gun show I saw an abidexterous mag release. This thing was real sweet and you barely had to touch the thing on the right side (using the thumb of your left hand) to drop the magazine. It was priced out of my reach ($99.95) and I have been droping mags with my left index finger for 30 years so I thought I would save my self some money and do what I have been doing. It still was real sweet.

MadDog

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just bought a couple of standard replacement springs at a gun show (they were cheap) and cut a few coils off. They work great and use less effort to release the mag.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just ordered a mag catch spring pak from Wolff, that includes 5 springs. One is a standard replacement, and the other 4 are reduced pressure by different amounts. The kit was $9.00, and will let me choose the pressure I like. What a perfect solution to my problem!

As for the lefty release, it's tempting, but I'm afraid it would just confuse me when having to switch between guns that had it and guns that didn't. Since I'm used to having the release on the left, I'm probably better off keeping it there. Still very tempting though.

Thanks again,
Rusty

[This message has been edited by RV8 (edited 10-21-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts