1911Forum banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just did mine tonight. I think I watched the same video, but I wound up pulling my trigger out. As soon as I got the little pin out that holds the magazine plunger, it just popped out seeing as it's under pressure from its own spring. I never had an issue with mags not dropping free. Mine's a .40, and my magazines have a little spring on them where they go into the magwell that helps them eject with authority. It did greatly improve my trigger. Easiest mod I ever made to a pistol, wish I had done it the day I got the pistol.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mag safety

Curious.

Anyone try leaving it in, but stoning (removing some material from) the disconnector surface to reduce pressure on mag?

And/or clipping a coil or 2 from the disconnect spring (or replace with reduced spring)?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mag disconnector polish

No one responded to my question, so I will add that stoning (600 grit and an Arkansas ultra fine stone) the face of the mag disconnector was easy and productive. Left it in place as mine did not want to slide out at all. Trigger pin was easily removed as It has undoubtedly been done before on my '86 FN Mk II Israeli service pistol (thank you Submoa on that info).

After sanding and stoning the grooves on the face flat as well as the radius of the face, the trigger grittiness was essentially unnoticeable. Don't think I'll bother removing the mag disconnector at all now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just finished the, now well documented, mag disconnect removal procedure on my 1969 C model. Yo! The trigger pull is now 4.15lbs (avg) according to my Lyman gauge and very smooth. I'd share the 'before' or oem average pull number, but I wasn't smart enough to remember to test that before yanking the disconnect. Doh.

I am pleased at the ease of performing this procedure due the contribution of so many folks above, and of course the OP. Thank you. :rock:

This was only a 10 minute job and I took my sweet time to be extra careful. The 69C model was a breeze to work on. In a few days I'll get to test it at the range to see how it works live.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just finished the, now well documented, mag disconnect removal procedure on my 1996 C model. Yo! The trigger pull is now 4.15lbs (avg) according to my Lyman gauge and very smooth. I'd share the 'before' or oem average pull number, but I wasn't smart enough to remember to test that before yanking the disconnect. Doh.

I am pleased at the ease of performing this procedure due the contribution of so many folks above, and of course the OP. Thank you. :rock:

This was only a 10 minute job and I took my sweet time to be extra careful. The 96C model was a breeze to work on. In a few days I'll get to test it at the range to see how it works live.

My removal job went very easy just like yours:) I believe your "C" series gun would be a 1976 and not a 1996. Or do you mean "classic" model ??;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Vis35, thank you for catching my error. I edited my post. It should have been 1969C or 69C. I must have contracted dyslexia just before I posted. :dope:

·
Registered
727 Posts
In my experience, for what it is worth, I have tried this a number of times over the years on a number of guns. What always resulted for me was a long, mushy trigger that was less pleasing that the trigger felt when the gun was left in original condition. I always ended up putting the thing back in so, if nothing else, the gun would at least be original.

·
Registered
72 Posts
first off thank you to the late gentlemen who started this thread and everyone else for posting their feedback on the removal of this caddiewampas disconnect.

2. Why Remove? This gun is going to be primarily for IDPA ESP so drop free mags will be important. Overall do I think it improved the trigger pull? maybe. but the mag issue was the main reason.

As always with any endeavor mechanical, research and the proper tools are your friend. I used my gunsmith brass hammer, 3/32 steel nail punch and brass punch for the job. Thats it.

Pistol is a late 90's Mk3 practical.

So, first I "tried" the so called easy method. I easily removed the disconnect pin, and despite all my moving of the transfer bar thing, and prying on the anvil of the disconnect it wasn't moving. Feeling defeated and :scratch: questioning my own ability, ( i have worked on numerous other pistols successfully) I did what any gun fan should do. I went and shot it. ALOT. I love the gun, but the mag issue was sticking in my crawl. Bound and determined I departed youtube for the forum here and found the answers I needed. To the gentleman who said "right to left" for the trigger pin. THANK YOU. Who would think the domed surface would indicate where to start hammering out a pin.
I placed my 3/32 nail punch over the dome and gave a gentle tap-tap-tap and saw the pin moved. SO I whacked it so more and out it came.

I pulled the trigger shoe down out of the frame and wouldn't you know it, that caddiewampus anvil and spring shot out smacked the inside of the magwell and cleared the cleared the frame. Farewell caddiewampus device, farewell. Easy enough, wipe the trigger off, and reinserted it into the gun, finish Reassembly, functions check, done. 15 minutes tops but add about 45 minutes of frustration trying to do the "easy method" first.

Again thanks everyone for posting your feedback. To the folks who mentioned that newer hi powers the easy method doesn't work and the gentlemen who said right to left for the removal of the pin. The 3/32 nail punch was very helpful because it didn't flatten the domed pin like a flat headed steel or brass punch might.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did mine tonight in 15 minutes. Gun was a 1990 build Mk lll Practical, in virtually new condition. I soaked both small and large pins with Kroil for 10 minutes, then tried the small pin with a fitted punch of that dia. It came right out with light taps; right to left. I then spent several minutes trying to gently pry the mag disconnect out with no luck.

At that point I started the larger trigger pin with a nylon faced light weight hammer, right to left, tapping on the round end. I finished with a closely fitted punch and it came right out with no problems.

At that point, I rocked the trigger itself up, slightly and was able to work the disconnect out with no problem. The trigger remained in the gun, and I worked it back around til the pivot pin and hole lined up, then replaced the pin, round end first from left to right.

The trigger is very smooth now, and trigger pull weight an estimated 5 lbs. with a great feel to it...I like that weight in a carry gun, and it's about the same as my 1911's that have been worked over by a good pistol smith...truly remarkable! The gun is virtually new, and previously, the trigger had a lot of creep...almost gritty in feel. It's crisp now.

Magazines will still not drop free however, but do drop 1/2" or so, and require 'stripping'.

HTH's Rod...and BTW many thanks to the dirtbags at photobucket who hold all of our old pictures hostage. I was unable to see any of the previously posted pics, and the 40 or so that I had in my PB account are forever lost to me.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts