1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Wolff make mag springs for 8 rd Wilson Mags? Has anybody used them?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Wilson mags already have Wolff springs in them. They are proprietary to Wilson, so you cannot buy them through Wolff's or Brownells.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have had considerable trouble with my set of 8 47Ds in the past few months. All but two fail to lock the slide on my SA Professional and all other 1911s I have tried them in. They worked well for a few months and then rapidly became unusable.

Followers look good. I figured the springs might be a problem.

This morning I decided to give Wilson a call, and was very pleased when with nearly no questions asked other than are they clean? Wilson offered to send me all new springs for the mags. The person I spoke to mentioned that the springs are now stronger than the ones originally in my mags.

Definitely meets my definition of good customer service.

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Archer:

I've had similar experiences contacting Wilson about mag springs. I had some of the older, weaker springs, and was having feeding problems with the last round from a few mags. Wilson sent me replacement springs for all my mags, along with 2 extra springs, with very few questions asked (other than mailing address and stuff like that!).

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I have a question, what is the difference between the Wilson/Rogers magazine spring and anybody else's 8 round magazine spring? I have W/R 7 round magazines so looking at those springs v. the CMC 8 round springs will not tell me much.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I am totally confused now, Wilson says their mag springs are now stronger?

My first 47D mags had very stiff springs, I even had to leave them loaded for a week before I could comfortably insert a fully loaded mag. Those mags went away with a gun I sold. Next pair of 47Ds had the new lip design, like Powermags, and the springs required no break in. They were touted as having stronger springs, what am I not seeing? These mags also gave me failures to lock back.

You can only buy the springs from Wilson..... So what do people who live in Canada do?

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
JeffC said:

You can only buy the springs from Wilson..... So what do people who live in Canada do?
Buy Para's and new Norinco's.:D

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
JeffC said:
So what do people who live in Canada do?
Brownell's special-orders them for me. (Or I get a nice Forum member to buy them for me and ship 'em up!).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This morning I decided to give Wilson a call, and was very pleased when with nearly no questions asked other than are they clean? Wilson offered to send me all new springs for the mags. The person I spoke to mentioned that the springs are now stronger than the ones originally in my mags
I called today myself and did not get the same person as you did. I was told there was no warranty on the springs and I need to replace them every so often at my own expense.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
BS.
Call back and tell them you want to talk to a supervisor. I had a guy there try to give me the run around once also. He said they had no record of me buying mags from Wilson. I politely told him I purchased them from his website (back when they had used ones for $15). I also told him that Wilson's selling point was the lifetime warranty.

Tell them you want to send the mags back because they don't work. I only got this guy once but his management should know what he is doing.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I suggest you ask for Frank when you call there, he seemed to be very reasonable and customer oriented.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A follow-up.

On a whim, last Saturday, I tried one of the lesser-used 47Ds I purchased last February- perfectly clean mag, mind you- during an IDPA match stage and experienced TWO type 3 malfunctions IN A ROW.

In a pistol that has NEVER malfunctioned before or since.

One of them was so bad I could not lock the slide back to rip the magazine. :eek: Still not *quite* sure how I cleared it- sort of went on autopilot.

Finished the stage down zero but it took a total of 29 seconds- most people took 10 on that one. Very bad juju. Too bad you cant have a BUG in IDPA.

Received the new Wilson springs Monday (as well as a packet of followers) and the new springs were a full THREE INCHES LONGER than the ones I removed from the mags. Considerable extra strength compared to the old ones.

Loading the mags was uneventful, though the 8th round was a tiny bit stiff. An indoor match tonight will be a good test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts