1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a few Kimber 1911's and like the look of a finished magwell on some I have seen in various photo's. Since I have never owned a 1911 with a magwell I am asking for your opinions, recommendations and pro's-con's.
The weapons I am interested in installing them on are Kimber Eclipse and Kimber TLE RL both in 10 MM. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Wilson makes several but if you just want to try one out they have one that clips on to the bottom grip screws for about $30. I had one and it was a real tight fit and never moved on me. I decided I didn't want one on my carry guns due to printing so I sold it. It was good quality though, like everything from WC.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My favorite is the Smith & Alexander one piece mainspring housing and magwell. That's what I have installed on my relatively new Stainless Target II.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Chen SI

·
Super Moderator
14,592 Posts
Thanks for information I was thinking about Wilson, just seeking qualified opinions first.
I had one installed (Wilson round butt mag well) on my Eclipse 10mm; they did a stellar job of blending the Wilson Bullet-Proof one-piece mag well and blending it and refinishing the frame for a reasonable price. I also had the "reliability package" done to it, but it is not necessary for a mag well modification.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Wilsom's or S/A ++

My favorite is the Smith & Alexander one piece mainspring housing and magwell. That's what I have installed on my relatively new Stainless Target II.
The economy option: The Wilson "clip on" has worked for me on several gamer guns without fail. For a better fit. I have relieved the inside of the grip panel for a better fit and appearance.

The S/A is well S/A! They blend well on the three I've installed. They work and look great too.

Of course there are times minor fitting may be required.

Smile, all the best in 2020!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Second Chen SI - a magnificent single piece magwell.

Grant

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recommend the magwells made by Ed Brown. I have three installed on a Warrior, a CDP Pro and a Raptor Pro. All were easy to install, fit nicely and do the job intended of helping with reloads.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not much experience with 1911 but wanted to start with a well and mainspring combo on my new Gold Match. I went cheap for the first modification and bought a Klonimus combo to try. Not bad for inexpensive, fits and functions very well.

Will need time to check durability, but seems fine, looks good. KM

PS; Forgot to mention it came with a hammer spring already installed. Lighter than the Kimber original, maybe a few pounds say 21-19 lbs. km

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received my Stan Chen SI magwell yesterday and I goofed up. I didn't know to secure the hammer safety with a rubber band before removing the Mainspring and the sear spring came out and now I cant get it installed correctly. I cant get the original main spring to install either. Don't be too rough !! I But would appreciate guidance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OOOpps! Did something like that myself. I had to put it down and walk away.
Hours latter used a few Youtube videos to help and it went right back together first try.
https://youtu.be/7rJgs4Y9oBM
https://youtu.be/dCd01daRTLo
Helped the most.
Placement of the sear and disconnector caused me problems, holding the spring down with the mainspring is a too far, not far enough, balance, especially getting the grip safety spring just right, finding the right spot to slide in the thumb safety. KM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bluetruck,
I will make an attempt tonight after work ,the mainspring just would not seat the final distance enough to engage the pin. I know just enough to be dangerous. The video makes it look so easy.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Drive a finish nail into a board or your workbench, leaving half sticking up. Use it to push the plunger in far enough to set the mainspring pin. Gives you both hands.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts