1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it looks like I am going to have to purchase a new MSH from Baer, I started considering just having a mag well installed. Anyone have a pic of theirs with a magwell from Les Baer? How much does it flair out from the grips?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I highly recommend the Baer magwells for Baer pistols. I just couldn't get a S&A magwell to fit without altering some metal. I decided to go with a Baer in hopes that it would truly "drop in" and it did. It hasn't been blended yet, it's not incredibly gorgeous... YET... but it fits very well. No makin' fun of my dirty rust bucket, the ill-fitting grips, or the crummy pics. ;)... I'm posting these pics so you can get an idea of a Baer 2 piece, 30 lpi checkered magwell/MSH in the rough. ;) For now, the magwell serves it's purpose. :D

Maybe Ned Christiansen will see my Baer in it's current condition and bump me up on his waiting list, out of sheer pity. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Looks like that is the 2 piece well correct? I am calling Baer today! Outstanding....

Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kruzr or Sniper,

Am I going to have to purchase larger base pads? Sending it off to Baer today.

Todd

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Todd, the standard base pads on Baer mags (the ones that I got with my TRS's) work fine. If you have mags with the flat metal plate instead of the plastic or metal pad, they will work but will be up against the frame and not easy to handle.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Sniper, I don't think your Baer looks bad. It has charater earned from reliable service. I don't have the miles you do on mine, but i'm sure someday I will. I have other 1911's that look like yours and I think they look great because I know I can count on them!

later,
AJ

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
hipowr, awww, thanks!!! Kruzr's pic makes mine look sorta grubby. You're absolutely correct that my ol' beater Custom Carry has served me very well! :D But heck, it's only about 8 months old (?) and round count is somewhere's near 6K. Still seems new to me... :biglaugh: That magwell has only been on there since the beginning of this month... five matches, I think. One of the matches was an IDPA Regional though... West Texas, and it took 2nd place in it's division. Too bad I wasn't the shooter! :D

Todd762, I hope to see pics of your Baer + magwell in the near future!

:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Baer Magwell

Kruzr,

That is an outstanding pic you posted. This may be a stupid question, but has that magwell been blended? Is it standard for Thunder Ranch models? I would like to add a magwell like that to a Monolith. Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Re: Baer Magwell

Fitch Hall said:
Kruzr,

That is an outstanding pic you posted. This may be a stupid question, but has that magwell been blended? Is it standard for Thunder Ranch models? I would like to add a magwell like that to a Monolith. Thank you for your time.
Yes, it was installed and blended by Baer when the gun was hard chromed. Magwells are not standard for a TRS.......some would probably consider them to be a sacrilege on what's supposed to be a combat type pistol. ;)

(BTW, the pic was taken by the previous owner of the gun.......the forum member named mellow.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contacted Baer, you can figure 180 for the part and installation and $180 to have your frame redone. Kind of pricy, heck might as well install a light rail as well! I think I am going with the standard MSH as I cant justify having the frame redone. Anyone have a light rail on their Baer? :)

Todd

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Todd762 said:
Contacted Baer, you can figure 180 for the part and installation and $180 to have your frame redone. Kind of pricy, heck might as well install a light rail as well! I think I am going with the standard MSH as I cant justify having the frame redone. Anyone have a light rail on their Baer? :)

Todd
Frame redone? Their price list shows $180 for a hard chrome of the frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
??? They told me that the frame had to be refinished after the installation because they form the mag well into the frame. I have a SRP with a Baer Coat finish. Guess they remove metal from the current bevel.

Todd

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Ah, yes, the current bevel on the inside bottom is "reangled" a little to matchup with the magwell.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Todd762, $80 for the part, 3 seconds to install... and it'll turn out lookin' like mine! :D Who looks up your magwell anyhow? (unless you post a pic on the 'net. ;) )

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was looking at this option as well for a TRS. I called the company and they said it would cost $190 to get the magwell installed and blended and another $90 to reblue the frame.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I actually put one of those Wilson press-on mag wells on my Baer (hey it was cheap and I wasn't sure I wanted one at all, so this was an easy way to find out....stop hissing at me...) and it is really good. It is solid and it actually does help make reloads a bit smoother.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sniper,

The true beauty of a Baer pistol is seen at the target holder. Mine look as "bad" as yours and still tears up the X-ring many tens-of-thousands of rounds later.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Kruzr

Okay I just gotta ask...How much easier/faster is it reloading with the new magwell? Gotta admit L.B. did a nice job.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
rwmagnus said:
Kruzr

Okay I just gotta ask...How much easier/faster is it reloading with the new magwell? Gotta admit L.B. did a nice job.
I never timed the difference and I don't think much about it. I just shove a mag in the bottom. There are magwells on both my Kimbers (including the one you shot ;) .) The only 1911 I have without one is the other TRS and I don't think about it with that one either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts