1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use one on their CCW? If so how much difference would one make when it comes to concealing the weapon?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello!

Agent6-3/8 said:
Anybody use one on their CCW?Yes. If so how much difference would one make when it comes to concealing the weapon?None.

·
Premium Member
20,404 Posts
Huge difference to me and my body build. The grip length is the most difficult area to properly and comfortably conceal. Hence...the popularity of the Bobtail for full-size grips and the compact/officer frame. Unless you want to invest in a magwell requiring shortening of the grip and welding the well on, you're just gaining too much length.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Agent6-3/8 said:
Anybody use one on their CCW? If so how much difference would one make when it comes to concealing the weapon?
I've tried both, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellas. I've been playing with the idea of picking up a removable mag well like the one sold by Nighthawk, that way it it doesn't work for CCW, I can always stick it on when I'm OC'ing or otherwise not worries about concealment.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It's unnecessary for a CCW, unless you plan to shot competitions with it too. I think the SA magwell added too much length to my Govt model for best CCW, but is just fine for service use and competitions.

It certainly doesn't enhance a CCW gun.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
AZ Husker said:
... Unless you want to invest in a magwell requiring shortening of the grip and welding the well on...
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about. The weld-on units, like the Ed Brown weld-on magwell on my pistol in the photo, have no negative impact on concealment (for me, anyway), and certainly make mag insertion much smoother, and surer, at any speed, whether you need that or not. I don't know whether I would call it a necessary enhancement, but I like it, and consider it one of the more advantageous mods you can get on a custom pistol. The one I have in the works right now has an Ed Brown weld-on magwell in its future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well first off, That Springfield is sweet!

It's not just the magwell, it's also the extended slam-pads you'll need on your magazines that will make concealment more difficult.

I measured recently. My Kimber with the magwell installed, and Kimber factory mag extended "bumper pads" installed, adds 9/16" of length to the grip.

Wilson type mags are a little shorter, but are still longer than the 1/4" of length the Mag-well adds. To me it makes it harder to hide a weapon that is already difficult to conceal.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Thanks. Of course, the magwell shown above adds no length or width at all. The Metalform mags I use have a removable floor plate that just barely protrudes past the magwell opening, allowing for positive mag seating, while adding no appreciable length to the butt end of the pistol.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I love magwells. I have 2 S&A on Colt Gov't and Ltwt Officers and 2 Wilson snap on units on Tactical Elite and CQB. I have large hands and I appreciate the faster reloads. I like the weld on units. They seem even faster to use without sacrificng concealment and they don't need large mag pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts