1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI,

I have a Essex framed Remington Rand slide with few Wilson and Brown parts gun... It wasn't feeding quite right and I was told by several guys to by a Wilson Combat mag and would probably fix my problem... It feeds great now with the exception when I release the slide the mag drops free???? It is accually when the slide moves forward the mag drops... What the heck? What is wrong?
Thanks!
agrust

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Is it possible that the mag release spring is weak, or too short? Can you check to see that the mag release ledge is fully engaged in the mag slot? Taking the slide off, watch with a loupe while you slowly slide an empty magazine into place, does the ledge enter fully as far as it's designed to? You'd have to have the spring and follower out of the magazine to see it, and maybe not even then. Page 157 of Kuhnhausen's second book shows that ledge to be .055" to .075" deep, the magazine release spring should be .708" long when it is out of the release.

As you slowly slide a magazine in, before the magazine release snaps into the slot, it should be sticking out of the frame a bit on the side that has the screw slot, on my Commander it sticks out about .020 -.025". As I slide the mag all the way in it snaps back in flush with the side of the frame.

Not being a gunsmith and not seeing many problems nor dealing with any but my own guns, I've never seen or even heard of this one before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts