1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range shooting today and my clip just came apart. It happened while firing. It's a Kimber Super 38 clip. I never had any problems of any kind before this and I probably have shot about 2,000 rounds (guessing). Any ideas why it would come apart like that?

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Does the magazine have a welded base pad? It sounds like the magazine bottom has broken loose. Kimber might replace it for you. I would give them a call.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll call Kimber tomorrow, see what they say.

I thought maybe my reloads were to hot, but it doesn't make sense. 1. Because the load wasn't a max. load 2. The gun wouldn't react that way to a hot round, it would show up somewhere else. For example, I looked at my primers and no sign of any bleed.

For what it's worth, this gun has been amazing. I don't think I will ever buy another combat style pistol. The accuracy of his gun, with the trigger pull, reliability, and overall aesthetics is unbeatable.

Thanks for the feedback,
john

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
I've had two Kimber (cheap McCormicks) drop the welded baseplate and poop all the ammo straight out the magwell. Of course, it only happens when everyone is watching. If you prefer a welded baseplate for flush-fit (and I do) take a look at Metalforms.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I've had two Kimber (cheap McCormicks) drop the welded baseplate and poop all the ammo straight out the magwell. Of course, it only happens when everyone is watching. If you prefer a welded baseplate for flush-fit (and I do) take a look at Metalforms.
I had seen this with an AR mag at a high power match. It sounded like the same thing(Except the AR mags aren't welded, but same principle)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
:biglaugh: I had it happen at a bowling pin match, a Colt mag, bottom welds let loose, dropped everything out the bottom. It will happen once in a while. Just hope it isnt during a self defense issue.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
For everyone that doesn't CCW carry an extra mag or two, that's why you should start doing so.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
2000 rounds is a lot of magazine drops on a hard concrete floor. Welds will fail under hard use like this eventually.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called Kimber and they basically said I had to buy a new magazine. Didn't mind so much, love the gun. But a stainless steel clip should not just fall apart. This is a range gun. It's pampered.

Question: Everyone raves about the Wilson Combat magazines but what I read on Midway indicates they have a plastic follower that is prone to breakage - only one guy's comments but seems like it could be a potential problem.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I have not had any Wilson Rogers magazines fail. The followers in mine have been just fine. I have 6 that I rotate around. I have not read on here where others have had any follower failures either. That, of course, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the same experience as Brian. My five have thousands of rounds through them and no problems. I like these but have also hear good reports about the Cobra mags.

Just stay away from the cheap no name mags.

·
Registered
948 Posts
+1 on the Metalforms. I have several for my Super 38 and have had no problems.
Tomcatt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Appreciate all the replies.

I would like to have at least 2 mags on hand so I don't get taken out of commission because of failures. I'm a range shooter so my life doesn't depend on it, but I was pretty disappointed when my day at the range ended after 40 rounds.

I purchased a new Kimber mag today and will try another brand as a second to see how they work.

Many thanks,
john

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered a Cobra Mag. from Tripp Research today. We'll see how it works. I also order another Kimber mag - never had any problems with it, until it fell apart.

Thanks for all the help,
john

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
-1 on Metalform

Ordered one for my Compact Stainless II from Brownells and turned out to be very hard to load the rounds, something wrong with the orange follower or the tube.

Good Brownells CS returned my money + shipping charges.

Excellent experience with Wilson mags, including the new model Elite Tactical

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
I recommend the round top metal followers in Metalforms. I don't care for any plastic followers (I know you Wilson guys).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts