1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Clapp Gov't model came two magazines. One is fine and the other is mighty hard to load. I can feel the follower binding as it's being loaded. I've given it some time, hoping the issue would work itself out; but after more than 300 rounds (600 total, alternating mag's); the issue still exists. I'm considering a slight polishing of the surfaces of the follower that contact the walls of the mag. tube. Is this advisable? Is there a preferred method of correcting this issue?

The issue doesn't affect reliability. The gun performs flawlessly since day one.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You could.I would swap springs and followers to figure out exactly which part is bad.While apart compare each one-are the followers the same,are there burrs in the mag,is the spring in the bad one in backwards or upside down,etc.?Then you'll know the cure.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Send it back to Colt for a replacement. PM member BJT72 for the fastest service.

·
Registered
858 Posts
here i thought i was the only one!
i bought a new colt 8rnder last summer
after about 1000 rnds it started to bind and hang
and i couldnt see anything wrong, i filed and polished and it just seemed to get worse
so i swapped in some really cheap parts i had laying around and it got better
but not better enough!
i chucked it into the junk box

on a whim i ordered a couple sets of the Tripp Reasearch Super 7 upgrade kit
http://www.trippresearch.com/store/index.html
WOW turned junk into gold
the messed up RIA mag and the colt are now the best of any i have
including the Wilson ETM (which im not so impressed with, feels cheap and weak)
i guess what i have learned is that if you want mags that work, use 7rnders with strong springs

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I always disassemble new mags and inspect for burrs and almost always work over the followers with a piece of 320 waterproof sandpaper followed by 400. I clean all grease and oil off all the parts with hot soapy water, rinse, dry and apply Johnson's paste wax in and out and then buff all wax residue off. Oil in mags is a dirt trap.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Take a wooden ruler and cycle the follower vigorously and fully about a hundred times after oiling liberally. Wash out the oil with solvent or spray brake cleaner and see if it isn't better.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I think saxman's advice might just polish the exact points in need. I've already got the brake cleaner, wooden ruler, and of course--oil. If that doesn't do it, I'll PM Brent.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a wooden ruler and cycle the follower vigorously and fully about a hundred times after oiling liberally. Wash out the oil with solvent or spray brake cleaner and see if it isn't better.
That did the trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
on a whim i ordered a couple sets of the Tripp Reasearch Super 7 upgrade kit
WOW turned junk into gold
the messed up RIA mag and the colt are now the best of any i have
including the Wilson ETM (which im not so impressed with, feels cheap and weak)
i guess what i have learned is that if you want mags that work, use 7rnders with strong springs
I bought the Super 7 kits for my Remington mags and they are great. I also replaced a couple of worn out followers and springs in my WC mags and they are even better. It says that it will change an 8 round mag into a 7 round but I can still load 8. I will only buy the Tripp kits from now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts