1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much research and debate I finally got my Kimber Stainless compact (all stainless) but now I have some questions. First what are the proper magazines for the compact? When I read the adds for mags I see the officer’s and commander mags being advertised. The mag that came with the gun holds seven round and has a flush fit (which is the kind I want to buy). When I use my 8 round mags for my full size the bottom of the mag sticks out which subtracts from the ability to conceal. Which mag is correct?

Second, I have a 10 round mag that I would like to carry as a backup. When I tried to use the mag at the range it inserted too far in the mag well, which did not allow the slide to close. I had to manually push it out from the top after locking the slide back and holding the mag release button. I then had to slowly insert the mag in the well until I felt it click in place. I got the same result when I used the 8 round mags for my full size. Basically I can’t slam these mags home. I don’t thick this is supposed to be normal but can anyone shed some light on this over-insertion problem. This is another reason why I want to insure I order the correct size mags. Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The Kimber compact takes Officers length magazines. These hold one round less than the govt and commander magazines. The over-insertion problems you are seeing are due to using too long magazines for the compact frame.

Wilson offers an 8-round magazine which fits into an officers frame and has a stop built on it to prevent over-insertion. It will, however, stick out the bottom of the frame but avoids over-insertion. I've never seen a 10-round mag for an officer frame.

By over-inserting the mags, you may want to inspect the ejector since you may have changed its mounting or shape.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, you can use those long 10 or even 15 round sticks! Just insert them with the slide closed!
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

1 - 5 of 5 Posts