1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Brownells offers an anvil and yoke set for forming the lips on 1911 mags. These seem to be made for wadcutter users, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used them. I have a few magazines that need some help in this area, but don't want to dedicate them just for wadcutter use. In fact, I rarely shoot wadcutters. I'm use mostly LRN for practice, and JHPs for self-defense, and I don't want to do anything to risk reliability with my primary ammo types. Is anyone familiar with them? ==Bob

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't believe that the jig forms the lips to be wadcutter specific.

What the jig does, is makes sure your mag lips are at their nominal dimensions with regards to width.

Unless your mags are really old and "soft", I have never had a need for this tool.

The best tool is a known good mag, to compare any suspect mags against. (A caliper helps).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two fairly new Colt mags, that won't lock the slide back. The followers don't come up high enough to engage the slide stop. New springs and different followers didn't improve things. It's gotta be in the feed lips, all the other mags in the batch work fine. ==Bob

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
As I stated, compare your bad mags to the good ones, and take some measurements with a verier caliper (if you have one).

I believe the Brownells jig only squeezes the lips together on mags that have opened up. If your problem is that the lips seem too close together, I don't think the jig will correct that.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The tool can be used to adjust the release point of the magazine lips.

Lou Woll, the credited designer, used to display at a local gun show. He said that Brownells changed his design specs and that their version didn't work right.

Lou retired from the Rock Island Arsenal. Don't know what his title was there, but he's an old time rifle and pistol smith well known among the old Freeland's crowd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts