1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with the slide not fully locking back after the last round is fired. This, so far at least, is only happening with some magazines.
Recently I bought two Wilson 47Ds. One failed to lock back the slide and the other was causing FTFs. I returned them to Wilson and asked for an exchange of #47s.
Today, I took those two replacement mags, along with others, to the range and found that I was having slide lock problems with the two new mags. Instead of complete failure to lock back, I was getting partial slide closing. Upon close inspection, I found that the slide was stuck scraping the top of the follower. The result was a partially open slide and no engagement of the slide lock.
Then, I also noticed that while using a brand new Wolff magazine, things were not all well, either. This time the slide was not stuck on the follower. The slide had locked back, but the lock lever was not fully seated in the slide notch, only partially.
With other magazines the gun locked back normally.
Is this a magazine problem or a gun problem?
The gun is a Wilson CQB with close to 1000 rounds through it. I was using factory, high-powered ammo, standard 18 pound stock Wilson spring and no shok-buff.
Thanks for any and all help.
Charles

·
Registered
61 Posts
The scrape in the top of the follower is caused by the slide, when the follower is that high, it should be locking your slide to the rear. Sound like you need to have your slide stop fitted.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If it was not trouble before, it's still possible it's the gun OR the mags or both...If there are some mags that ALWAYS work. Compare them side by side and see if you can tell what the prob is. Wilson stands behind ALL their products. If they don't work they will fix or replace them...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do not get overly biased with the Wilson so called legend of "Being the absolute best magazines in the galaxy". If you have magazines that work every time, then I would stick with them and let the Wilsons go to the plinking bag. WIlsons may work in alot of guns but they don't work in all guns. I trust my Kimber stock mag more than I do my Wilson 47Ds.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
What is "factory high-powered ammo"? Is this ammo different from what you were using previously? As I understand, if you have too little recoil spring for the load you are shooting, then you may get failures to lock back. This can be with a worn out spring and regular ammo or a regular 18# spring and hot ammo. Some people don't realize that there is a balance between the power of the recoil blast, the spring, weight of the slide (amount of mass being moved backward plus the recoil spring weight) and the amount of time available for the gun to cycle properly. Too fast and too slow and cause a variety of problems. So it is possible that the mags are not the problem. Without knowing if you changed to a different ammo or anything like that, it is hard to know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Slide locking back on the follower? Is the follower made of metal or plastic? I had some mag pack mags with a plastic follower and they would push the slide stop OUT and locking the slide up. Is it possible the stop was hung up on the slide and you popped it back in while clearing the gun? Did the slide go into battery all by itself when you removed the mag?

I agree about not being hung up on name brands with mags. I have a bunch of no name gun show specials and fake colt mags that came with my M1927s. All have had thier springs and followers replaced with shooting star parts and between the new parts and a little feed lip tuning, every one of them work fine.

Takes a little tinkering some time... M1911s are like motorcycles... the're no fun if all you have to do is turn the key.

Tony G.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The followers are plastic and yes, the slide snapped into battery when I forcibly pulled the mag out by its bumper pad the first time I noticed a problem. The next time I carefully examined why the slide was only partially back and saw that it was scraping the top of the follower and was stuck in that position, held back only by the follower.

>>Did the slide go into battery all by itself when you removed the mag?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts