1911Forum banner

Magazine Problem?

892 3
I just purchased a Para P 18-9 and fired it for the first time today. Every time I got to the last round in the magazine it would put the slide lock on as if it were empty. If I pushed the slide lock down it would put itself into battery. This happened each and every time and in both magazines that were supplied with the firearm. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? I was using two brands of ammo in 125 gr. FMJ Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
2,923 Posts
Sounds like a weak spring to me. Try loading with only five rounds and see if the mag still does it. If it does change out the spring. Para mags are notorious for having weak mag springs.

Stay Safe

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since this is a new firearm I contacted Para by email and got a reply "It is an issue needing a small detent in the slide stop right where the plunger rests" My next concern is, after having the detent will this keep the slide from staying open once the last round has been fired? Since I know zilch about gun repairs, I guess I'll ship it back. By the way, I did try just putting five rounds into the mag. and the same thing happened. Thanks for your suggestion.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
41 Mag said:
Since this is a new firearm I contacted Para by email and got a reply "It is an issue needing a small detent in the slide stop right where the plunger rests" My next concern is, after having the detent will this keep the slide from staying open once the last round has been fired? Since I know zilch about gun repairs, I guess I'll ship it back. By the way, I did try just putting five rounds into the mag. and the same thing happened. Thanks for your suggestion.
No, a properly cut slide stop detent will not have any adverse effect on your pistol. It won't prevent the slide from staying open after the last round is fired. Think of the detent as a little dimple--a depression--in the slide stop metal at the point at which the plunger touches the slide stop. When the slide stop is pushed up after the last round is fired, the plunger spring pushes the plunger tip into that dimple, providing just enough pressure so that the slide stop does not drop down. It's a common feature on custom pistols. Let them do it. It's a good thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.