1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new RIA GI Full Size 1911-A1 .45 ACP and Im wondering if the old 7rd standard magazines (US Military, Colt, Springfield, Wilson) with work in it... I cant stand the protruding plug on the factory 8rd magazine, its an eye soar to say the least!!! :scratch:

·
Registered
425 Posts
jaws66....1911's are picky as far as mags.. find a brand that works for you .
brownells.com and midway.com are good places to start. I am the same way as far as not liking the mag sticking out the bottom. my ria came with flush mag in ss.
it came with metalForm mag. so that's what I stayed with and have never had a problem.
the only mags that wont fit is the officer size(compact)
commander and government (full size)will be fine (7 rd will be flush) they even make
20 rd size (sticks out by 8 inches)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Regarding 7-round magazines, I use ACT, Mec-Gar, Wilson service mag plus, cheap blued Remington, shooting star w/ tripp super-7 upgrade kits. The remingtons I got on sale for around 10.00 per at CDNN. I consider any mag 20.00 + to be "not cheap". Seems like many others consider anything under 50.00 a good deal. Anyhow, my rocks are not sensitive to magazines. They have all been flawless with a few thousand rounds between them. Thought about getting a couple of the el cheapo "no man, wait up a sec, I swear it's a Colt mag" magazines to see how they do.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Magazines

I've had fairly good luck with surplus GI mags made by Checkmate (at least they have the 1m291 code on the base) they are plentiful and low cost 8 to 12 each. Watch out for repops that have large witness holes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had fairly good luck with surplus GI mags made by Checkmate (at least they have the 1m291 code on the base) they are plentiful and low cost 8 to 12 each. Watch out for repops that have large witness holes.
Thanks on that, seen it before!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jaws66....1911's are picky as far as mags.. find a brand that works for you .
brownells.com and midway.com are good places to start. I am the same way as far as not liking the mag sticking out the bottom. my ria came with flush mag in ss.
it came with metalForm mag. so that's what I stayed with and have never had a problem.
the only mags that wont fit is the officer size(compact)
commander and government (full size)will be fine (7 rd will be flush) they even make
20 rd size (sticks out by 8 inches)
I do realize that, just wondering since it has the relief at the bottom if it accepts the 7rd GI, etc mags... I know they are picky!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding 7-round magazines, I use ACT, Mec-Gar, Wilson service mag plus, cheap blued Remington, shooting star w/ tripp super-7 upgrade kits. The remingtons I got on sale for around 10.00 per at CDNN. I consider any mag 20.00 + to be "not cheap". Seems like many others consider anything under 50.00 a good deal. Anyhow, my rocks are not sensitive to magazines. They have all been flawless with a few thousand rounds between them. Thought about getting a couple of the el cheapo "no man, wait up a sec, I swear it's a Colt mag" magazines to see how they do.
I have never paid more than $20 for a 1911 mag

1 - 10 of 10 Posts