1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud owner of my first ever 1911 style gun, a RIA GI CS, 3.5 Officer size.

Please pardon my ignorance but I have a magazine question.

I see Officer model magazines with capacities of 6-8 rounds. Are the magazines the same size, and will the gun accept an 8 round without sticking out the bottom?? :scratch:

·
Registered
458 Posts
6-rounders will be flush. 7-rounders will go both ways. The welded-base magazines can be flush but the removable-base magazines will stick out. The 8-rounders will stick out.

I have a compact/officer too (RIA) and wanted flush magazines as it didn't make sense to me to buy a compact gun to conceal and then use magazines that stick out. I have Check-Mates and they work well, fit flush and came in blued finish to more closely match the gun. I didn't want shiny on anything I'm trying to conceal either. Tripp makes a flush-fit as well that gets great reviews.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, RockDoc. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Dragracer - I also have a Rock CS-Tac in my carry rotation and since I've also installed a Wilson Round-butt mainspring housing in an effort to reduce the printing from that acute angle at the end of the grip frame, flush-bottomed magazines were necessary. I found SIG-branded 6-rounders at Cabellas that fit well and run reliably with my chosen Hornady Critical-Defense ammo. But unlike RockDoc65, I use polished stainless steel magazines for defensive ammo in both the Compact and the full-sized Rock Tactical that is my nightstand weapon. This way I know that if a magazine is shiny-bright it is loaded with Hornady JHP and not FMJ-ball ammo. As for the glitter factor giving away my position; the magazine is in the gun anyway and thus hidden from view. This over-two-pound hunk of steel is carried in an IWB holster with an overgarment (or OWB with an overgarment) an form-printing through that cover shirt or jacket is more concern than shiny parts to me*.
Just remember that while those mags that work in full-sized 1911's will run fine in your Compact, the reverse is not true and that 1911's are notoriously magazine-picky contraptions and what runs great in my gun may be totally unreliable in yours so take everyone's advice on what brand of mag to buy with a grain of salt until you have proven them in your gun.

*Full disclosure - my CS-Tac is customized with either stainless or polished muzzle-crown, spring plug, hammer, MSH, beavertail safety, thumb safety, slide release and locator pins with an aluminum trigger. It is also Cerakoted with a titanium-colored slide and a midnight blue frame so a polished stainless magazine doesn't make much difference as camouflage to me! I was issued my first black firearm in Vietnam back in 1968 so I am kinda over the whole "Tactical-Blackout" thing for my personal weapons though my nightstand Rock is still pretty nocturnal looking!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts