1911Forum banner

Magazine Recommendations for 9mm Trojan

1692 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Joe D
Hello all:

I'd like to know what 9 and 10 round magazines you would recommend for a 9mm Trojan?

Also, where is the best place to buy?

Thanks in advance,
PJH

Edited to add: I'd done some previous searching on the boards, but I did not find any information regarding 10 round magazines, which I understood, though not common, were available from some manufacturers in a single stack 9mm configuration.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
9 mm mags

I have used Metalform-Pachmyer(made by Megar)-Megar-Colt.
The only ones that I have had good results with are Metalform (without the groove in the front) and Colt. All 9 round.
I have tried Chip McCormick 38 Super 10 rounders some work and most don't. I have never seen a single stack 10 round mag.
The worst 9mm mags were the Pachmyer and Megar.

Buy directly from Metalform and the the 10 quanity discount.

· Registered
3,003 Posts
I have the MecGars for my 9mm Trojan and I don't recommend them. I believe the Metalform 9mm mags with the front "nose ramp" are supposed to be the best because they prevent the top round from a nose-dive jam into the feed ramp.... a common problem with 9mm SS mags because of the taper of the cartridge itself.

There are no actual 10-round 9mm SS mags available. Some folks use the .38S mags. Feeding actual 9mm Luger ammo is iffy (some feed some don't), the reloaders just load their 9mm ammo out long to the .38S spec and then they work fine.

· Registered
169 Posts
I ask this same question a few weeks ago and got the Metalform recommendation from almost everybody. I got in on the last group buy put together by Chunger. I am very happy with the price but have not had a chance to try in my gun them yet as my gun has still not shipped (STI Trojan 9), but they do work really well in the Kimber 9.

Metalform Springfield 9mm Front Ramp configuration 9FR-795
29.73 each Group buy 13.?? each. The group buy made it possible for me to buy 8 instead of 3 :D :D More shooting less loading mags:biglaugh:

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the recommendations.

I also contacted MetalForm, as was informed (as you all already knew) that even though they produce ten rounds .45 cal, 40S&W, 10mm, and .38 super magazines, they don't offer ten round 9mm magazines (???!!!). I can't imagine that the demand for the other calibers would be so much greater as to make them economically viable, and not the 9mm.

Thanks again,
PJH

· Registered
259 Posts
10 rd mags for 9mm

Ah yes! The quest for the 10 rd 9mm single stack mag. I'm shooting a Springfield, but the question is universal concerning 9mm mags so please bear with me.

I shoot my 9 round Meatalform 9mm mags in IDPA and IPSC. Rather than trying to find a 38 Super mag, or alter a 9rd mag, that would sqeeze in ten 9mm rounds and hopefully feed them reliably, when given the command to load and make ready, I merely chamber a "Barney bullet" from a mag in my pocket and then pop in a fresh 9 rd mag! Perfectly legal in both shooting sports.

The typical stages in IDPA don't require all ten rounds before a required reload with retention. Therefore, I rarely go to slide lock before a reload and the elusive ten round 9mm mag would give me no competitive advantage. In addition, I don't think that altered mags are allowed in IDPA. I'll check the rules.

IPSC on the other hand may place me at a very slight disadvantage. (Heck, I'm at a disadvantage just showing up at the range for an IPSC event- very challenging!) Still starting with a "Barney" plus a mag of 9, Limited Ten Class requires a lot of mag drops, many at slide lock, and mag changes under the clock. Part of the game! Rather than attempt the above mentioned quest for a reliable ten round 9mm mag, I went a different route and purchased a S&W 5" 5906 Super 9 for IPSC which allows me to use preban 9mm hi-caps. Now for IPSC I load "Barney" plus a mag of 15. Lots of lead flying down range with a minimum of mag changes. This puts me in the Limited Class with other hi-cap shooters, but that's OK. I'll still shoot the 9mm single stack gun occasionally in IPSC.

I will continue to load/shoot the "Barney" plus 9 rd mags in IDPA and not fret about the ten round 9mm mag quest any longer.

Your opinions may vary. My quest with any gun is reliability and thankfully the crimp-down-the-front 9 rd 9mm Meatalform mags with the relief on the leading lip (nose ramp mentioned by Bountyhunter) have given me a gun/mag combination that is literally 100% reliable. I'm not changing anything.

· Registered
120 Posts
10 rnd 9mm

Seems to me from loading 9mm mags, a 10th round would make it unreliable in a single stack. The cases all taper and by the time you get to 10, the noses of the bullets are already almost 1/8" separated. .. not much to push the nose up. I think if someone figured out how to make reliable 10 in single stack, we'd have it right now because everyone would buy them up.

-'Chung

· Registered
674 Posts
Having used 10 round 38 super mags for 9mm in a Colt for many years and a STI for a few (2 or so) I have found Metalform mags to work wonderfully. I used these mags in a 38 super single stack then converted to 9mm for cheap brass and less power. ESP in IDPA and PPC shooting don't require 175/165/160 power factor ammo they can get by with 130 pf and a single stack is not competitive in USPSA open class. Now I am trying a 9mm barrel in an open gun high cap. So far so good I just have to get the powder and barrel combo to work.

Ed Henry

· Registered
23,961 Posts
A45acp1911 said:
Metalform seemed to indicate that the only reason that the 9 mm magazines were unavailable was due to (perceived) demand.
Well, Metalform told me that they would take a look at 10-round Xtended .38 and 9mm magazines after they had the .40 and 10mm out. The rep said one problem was keeping the design to where it would readily take 10 but could not be made to take 11 in violation of the Klinton Klip provision of the AWB. This was more of a worry for them with the smaller calibers, where any slop in the dimensions might let another skinny round in.

I use McCormick 10 round Super magazines for 9mm ball in my Colt and Caspian 9mms. They feed standard length ball, but I had a nosedive with a JHP and quit trying so I would not hurt my confidence. They are 100% with ball IN MY GUNS. I have run some 147 grain coated Precision flatpoint through them with no trouble, but not enough to feel fully confident.

It takes a good push to get the tenth round in, and a positive shove to seat all ten under a closed slide for "Barney bullet" 10+1 loading... as you are REQUIRED to do in any IDPA stage that even may call for a slidelock reload. But they do work.

A Metalform Xtended 10-shot front ramp 9mm would be popular in IDPA and I would think a good product for them.

· Registered
3,003 Posts
Re: 10 rnd 9mm

chunger said:
Seems to me from loading 9mm mags, a 10th round would make it unreliable in a single stack. -'Chung
Not necessarily. I happen to have eight Mec-Gar standrad nine round 9mm mags that I modified to hold ten rounds by using an after market follower which is sold for .38S to increase capacity by one round. The follower required extensive modification to fit into the 9mm mag shell. The follower is plastic and the top coils of the spring coil up inside the follower to conserve "spring space" in the magazine. It holds and feeds 10 rounds of 9mm just fine from the standard 9-round shell (not extended at all). The only gripe is they took a couple of coils off the mag spring to get the height down and it does not lock back on the last round 100% of the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.