1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you rotate out your carry magazines? I like to have loaded magazines with me all the time. I keep three topped off, 1 in the gun, two spare. My question is how often should I rotate these. I have nine funtional mags that I can trust. If I change every week then that gives the mags a one week on, two week off rotation. Is that sufficient to keep the springs from fatigueing?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I do mine every month. Been doing that now for a few years with two Wilsons and two CMC power mags. I use them in IDPA matches every once in a while to make sure all is well. Have not had any problems yet.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Properly designed springs fatigue from repeated compression/decompression cycles, not length of time left in compression. "Rotating them out" creates more wear than leaving them loaded.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by imashooter2:
Properly designed springs fatigue from repeated compression/decompression cycles, not length of time left in compression. "Rotating them out" creates more wear than leaving them loaded.
Hello Imashooter2,

I have heard of fully loaded 1911 magazines put up right after WWII, and when they were discovered many years later, they worked perfectly.

However, I like to test my guns and ammo and magazines to make sure everything works. I fire all of the ammo in all of the loaded carry magazines at least once every two months. Then I replace the magazines with different, clean magazines and new carry ammo. This way, I rotate through all the Wilson magazines, and I know that the magazines and ammo will perform without fail.

Magazine springs are inexpensive and easy to replace.

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Mark IV Series 80:
Magazine springs are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Agreed. I change my mag springs once a year, whether they are used frequently, or just kept loaded and put away . They all get fresh springs at Christmas time!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Originally posted by Mark IV Series 80:
However, I like to test my guns and ammo and magazines to make sure everything works. I fire all of the ammo in all of the loaded carry magazines at least once every two months. Then I replace the magazines with different, clean magazines and new carry ammo. This way, I rotate through all the Wilson magazines, and I know that the magazines and ammo will perform without fail.
I have no argument with your procedure. Testing your equipment is only prudent.

JRJ however, asked if "rotating out" the mags once every three weeks would be sufficient to avoid spring fatigue. I merely pointed out that the "leaving a mag loaded wears out the spring" story is just a fairy tale.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
For sure rotating mags causes more wear than just leaving them loaded, but by the same token, it wears them out no faster than actual use.

While changing springs every year falls under the category of "better safe than sorry", I've got magazines that have been used weekly for over a decade with no problems. I can't recall actually "having" to replace a mag spring.

I also load 20 rounds in USGI mags for my AR-15 with never a problem. I'm of the opinion that 90% of what we hear about magazines is pure bunk.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If a magazine has a good spring to start with it will last a very long time, whether it is rotated or not.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I'll stop rotating them and just use them till they wear out, if they ever do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts