1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us with Springfield 'mill spec' pistols are stuck using magazines which are dedicated because our stack of wilson mags, and others will not lock the slide back after the last round.

Certainlly someone here can shed some much needed light on this. Many here will benifit.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Alan, I'm not sure what you are implying or asking.

It is no secret that not all 1911's run well with ALL mags. Find the brand that works best with YOUR pistol and stick with it. It's that simple.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shane, it is just not that simple for me.

There must be a fix for this. In my case, its my only complaint with this pistol.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have not heard of this being an "issue" with the Mil Specs as a general thing, but if you say so I won't disagree with you.

The issue at hand is with the slide stop and it's relation to the followers in your magazines. When the last round is chambered and then fired the slide moves rearward and the follower moves to the uppermost position in the magazine. Wilson mags for example have a cut out in the follower, whereas a mil spec type mag with a steel follower usually has a step in the front of the magazine. This portion of the follower engages the lower portion of the slide stop and pushes it upward due to spring pressure on the follower, this is what locks the slide open.

Slide stops like all parts can vary from gun to gun, make to make, etc. Magazine also differ in follower type & size, magazine body size, width, wall thickness, etc. Prime example being .38 super mags and followers, they are thinner than those for a .45 (actual exterior mag body dimensions should be very close, but follower size and orientaion will differ due to the smaller .38 Super case) and therefore need a longer protrusion on the slide stop to engage the follower.

My suggestion would be to either replace the slide stop with a new one, preferably an oversized one. If that doesn't work, get a .38 Super slide stop and file to fit for a .45

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try having a competent 1911 pistolsmith fit a new slide stop to your Springfield. While wear on the plastic follower can cause failures to lock the slide back after extended use, new followers typically do not exhibit this problem with most 1911s.

A good drop-in (usually) solution is either the EGW slide stop (requires dehorn, refinish) or the Wilson Bulletproof slide stop (minimal fitting if any, but expensive).

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Big Daddy said:
My suggestion would be to either replace the slide stop with a new one, preferably an oversized one. If that doesn't work, get a .38 Super slide stop and file to fit for a .45
I had this done to my Kimber for a stubborn "fail to slide lock" problem, and it worked. I'd consider it last resort type stuff, though.

My Kimber had real trouble with CMC mags and how the follower can pivot somewhat in the mag tube, therefore creating variation on how it impacts the slide stop tab.

With the 38S slide stop, however, I can use either Wilsons or CMCs, provided that I first put new extra-power Wolff springs in all of them.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
....and as I've already stated - some pistols simply will not work with some magazines. It is the nature of the beast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts