1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked around for a while now on what I could install on a 1911 frame (Springer) as for Magazine well. The problem is that there are too many choices!

S&A
Ed Brown
Wilson Combat
STI

are just a few choices? What would you guys recommend? There seems to be a trend as to replace the MSH to get a custom one to attach the mag well. Is this better? Are all of these made equal quality? I really appreciate any help I can get on this subject to help me decide where to put my dineros. Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Got the S&A Magwell blended to the frame. This Magwell comes with the integrated 20 LPI MSH. Doesn't add too much length for concealed carry.

No matter which magwell you go with, get it blended to the frame. It'll look better...:)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I like Wilson's, because of how the back of the well opening is cut/machined. The S&A and Ed Brown is just left squared.
But for USPSA games, I'm looking hard at SVI's.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't tried the wilson yet, but I have both the S&A and the Ed Brown. I like the Ed brown better thn the S&A because of the removable magwell, and that also ment I could cut the mainspring housing to get a closer fit of the funnel to the frame.. the S&A is a one piece deal, and there is a tiny gap between the frame and the funnel, Its not noticable with the grips on, but I know its there.. Both are top notch pieces and the checkering (30lpi EB, 20lpi S&A) are excellent..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a S&A on a colt govt. model. The pistol is well worn and not ever a second thought about the well or its tiny gap. Part of this success story is due to the filing done by brian at revere to blend in the transition well to frame. This area is designed to be blended for both types of frame treatments, flaired or not.

I also have an expensive kimber with the 2 piece model [mag well] . This does not even come close.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Of the bolt on/MSH magwells, I prefer the Smith & Alexander. I have tried the removable magwells and found that the attachment screw either loosens at the wrong moment, or if you apply loctite, it eventually breaks after heavy use.

That said, to be done right, the S&A should be blended to match the frame. The mainspring tunnel is usually rough and needs polishing.

I especially like the Larry Vickers inspired compound angle opening and beveled sides that Hilton Yam does on his full house customs.

Tim

·
Registered
262 Posts
labuyo,

the back of the S&A magwell is squared off as a drop in part, but you can open it up to to a nice bevel with a file without too much effort. this is a stainless arched S&A magwell fit to a baer premier II.

a half-round file, emery paper, a dremel and brownells 555.

Jared

·
Registered
877 Posts
Aronj said:
the S&A is a one piece deal, and there is a tiny gap between the frame and the funnel, Its not noticable with the grips on, but I know its there..

You can put it in a vise and bend it so that it meets flush with the bottom of your frame. BUT . . . ya gotta do it before you start "blending" or you might have to do a bit more afterward.

·
Registered
262 Posts
only "problem" with Briley's (and others of that design like Heine's) is that you really need to be able to weld in order to install. That and you also need to have ball-end mill and something to use it in... Being a competent machinist probably doesn't hurt either :)

Jared

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone please explain the blending process to a total newbie when it comes to gunsmithing? Can the blending be done with any type of mag well? Is it possible to do the blending as a home project or do one needs special tools? Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Different guns have their idea of a flared magwell. The enhanced Colts are a good example. Most magwells are made for the Old Colt non-flared opening. When you fit a magwell you have to blend the gun with the magwell opening so that there is no felt edge or the mag can get hung on it. The wilson is a nice one but doesn't blend well with the grips and it geves you the option of removing it if you want. The SA has grips that are made to fit the external contour and blends nicely. If you want to take the well off just replace the whole thing with a standard MS housing.

On the blending you can do it on a mill and get a nice sharp machined edge or by hand with a file and a dremel and put a nice soft roll into it. Either way it's a personal preference.

I don't like the completely enclosed magwells because the lines don't look good on the 1911. They look ok on the double stacks, but again thats my preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
can't dispute that work like Chuck Rogers is just top notch. as far as magwell products in general (and what you can do with them), you might want to look at Ned Christiansen's work before discounting the S&A. His stuff is not inexpensive (although for best quality craftmentship, I woud argue there's great value there), and it certainly isn't easy.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that the S&A may be a little more accessable to someone who does not have any welding expertise (although you can do the frame cuts with a file). However, once you start getting a master machinist involved, I think the question of which magwell design is "best" becomes pretty subjective. Executed by a master pistolsmith, they all look pretty cool and work about the same. my $.02

Jared

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually, the best is the SV magwell for single stacks. Actually, is more of a mag FUNNEL! It is HUGE. I had an S&A. The SV magwell is about 50% larger, but it still fits i an IDPA box!

My digital camera battery is dead, but I'll try to upload a pic soon...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts