1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Loaded model that I took to the range for the second time today. Here is the problem I'm having. After the last round is fired, the slide does not stay in the locked position. It goes forward again as if their was another round left in the magazine. After this happens, the magzine will not release when the mag release button is pressed. I have to try quite hard to wiggle it out. The other 50% of the time, everthing works fine.

This did not happen my first trip to the range. I shot 100 rounds of Winchester white box, which is the same ammo I used today. The only other thing I've done differently is add some Hougue wrap-around grips.

What could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Probably two different things wrong, nematode.

The feed lips are spread wider than spec (or the mag channel in the frame is too narrow, not likely), which is why the mag won't drop free, and the follower is not properly engaging the slide stop. This may be due to either a weak mag spring or a problem with follower design.

Try some other magazines. Wilson 47Ds are quite consistent.
Good luck.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nematode,

Was the magazine disassembled and then reassembled ?

If it is the Metalform 7 round mag that normally comes with the TRP, and the mag spring was inserted backwards, it can cause this type of misbehavior. The follower is, as mentioned above, "jumping" overtop the mag catch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the magazine has never been dissassembled.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy some different mags. I'm sure that will do the trick (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
82 Posts
When you put the new grips on were they thinner than the others, or did you tighten the grip screws securely? I had a colt one time, that when I cleaned the gun and removed the grips, and put them back on, the grip screws tightened into the magwell, and with the tolerences, made it difficult to remove the magazine until I loosened the screws a turn or two. Once I realized what was happening I replaced the grips with a set that fit properely, and I could tighten the screws and the problem never reoccured. You may have a set of out of spec grips, or some that are thinner, or a set of grip screws that are to long. You can tell if this may be the problem by removing the mag, and feeling inside the magwell to see if screws are protuding out into the well. Also, the slide may not be locking back because of the seating of the magazine. If the screws are protruding into the magwell, it may cause the mag to not actually lock into place, so when the last round is fired it puts slight tension against the follower and pushes the mag down just a fraction of an inch, causing the slide to go forward instead of locking into place. Put your old grips back on, and then try it. If it still occurs, it may be the magazine itself.

I also had this occur on both an older S&W Auto, and a Beretta. With those I just had to make sure I didn't overtighten the grip screws.

Hope this helps...

Merry Christmas... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts