1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my Chip McCormick power mags, Wilson mags, and Les Baer mags don't really have any protruding edges from the mag well to help pry/pull them out from below if they are stuck. My Chip McCormick shooting star magazines do have a nub forward of the grip that could be used to help pull a stuck magazine out. So if you get a gnarly malfunction and need to remove a magazine that will not freely eject, what do you do? Try pushing it down from above if there is no nub to catch from below?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "nub" on the mags. Every magazine I've ever seen for a 1911 has a protrusion that sticks out the front. When clearing a type III malfunction, hook the protrusion with your support hand index finger and rip it out.

Here are five different mags:

Left to right: CMC Power mag, Ed Brown, Tripp Research Cobra mag, Wilson Combat 47D, ACT. As you can see in the pic, they all have different bases, but every one has a protrusion on the front. Even if you took the base pad off the Ed Brown to make it a flush mag, it will still have the protrusion in the front.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I remember seeing someone (don't remember who) recommending a momentum based solution. You raise your leg up, and smack your thigh with the forearm of your gun hand. This was done with the slide locked back and the mag release depressed, and used the inertia of the magazine to keep going when the rest of the gun stopped.

Dan

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I noticed that my Chip McCormick power mags, Wilson mags, and Les Baer mags don't really have any protruding edges from the mag well to help pry/pull them out from below if they are stuck.
Sure they do, that baseplate lip on the front of the magazine. They all got'em.

I remember seeing someone (don't remember who) recommending a momentum based solution. You raise your leg up, and smack your thigh with the forearm of your gun hand. This was done with the slide locked back and the mag release depressed, and used the inertia of the magazine to keep going when the rest of the gun stopped.
Oh, like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf5Xibu6iNc

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what you mean by "nub" on the mags. Every magazine I've ever seen for a 1911 has a protrusion that sticks out the front. When clearing a type III malfunction, hook the protrusion with your support hand index finger and rip it out.

My point is that only my Chip McCormick shooting star magazines have a protrusion that extends beyond the magazine well/front strap. In your photos, the Ed Brown would protrude, but the rest would probably be flush with the mag well and front strap of the grip on my Les Baer.

here is a photo of the Baer Mag flush fit:

Designed to fit flush, apparently. The wilson has a very tiny amout forward of the front strap, not sure its enough to use gross motor skills to pull down. The CMC shooting star mags protrude enough to get easy purchuse, but not the CMC powermags.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I misplaced/sold my Baer mags long ago, but your picture makes it look like the mag was purposely shaped to be flush with the frontstrap?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can stipple the sides of plastic base pads with a soldering gun or apply some grip tape to them.
Pinch and pull down then? Seems like it would be too much of a fine motor skill under stress. Gloves would also make it hard.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok, here is the wilson:

The wilson doesnt fit as flush as the Baer magazine, and what little bit is in front of the front strap isn't enough for a grip.

Now the CMC shooting star mag:

Lots more to strip the magazine out with the CMC.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I misplaced/sold my Baer mags long ago, but your picture makes it look like the mag was purposely shaped to be flush with the frontstrap?
Apparently so. But the CMC powermag fits nearly just as flush as the Baer mags.

CMC Power mag:

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Pinch and pull down then? Seems like it would be too much of a fine motor skill under stress. Gloves would also make it hard.
You can also get extended baseplates that give you more to grip onto.

PS - "fine motor skills" is an overblown myth. If you can manipulate a thumb safety, a slide stop, or a trigger - then grabbing a mag shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find myself wondering if the Les Baer front strap is thicker than other 1911's? Do CMC power mags protrude enough on other 1911's to hook your finger on them?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Here's an idea. Drop a snap cap into the chamber with the slide locked back. Insert a magazine with a snap cap or two in it as well. Let the slide go forward. You've now induced a type 3 malfunction. Now practice fixing it. Here's the late Paul Gomez showing how.

http://youtu.be/Wt9nQe-6vHI?t=4m6s

Once you've mastered that, try it one handed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJQY8v9V6AM

Add this to your dryfire routine. Problem solved. Happy thanksgiving.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Tomk2,
Thanks for those pics. Now I understand your concern better. What brand of gun is that? Baer? I assume so because you mentioned Baer mags.

All of my mags have more of a protrusion that what you pictured. Here is an Ed Brown Special Forces with a Tripp Research Cobra mag inserted:

As you can see, the base plate does not stick out far. Even so, it is enough to get a finger on there and remove the mag.

What I find interesting is that my CMC Power Mags stick out further than yours. I wonder if your front strap is thicker than mine?

Anyway, the answer is to pinch the base plate and yank it out. This is why the Cobra, ACT and Brown mags all have a tapered base plate to facilitate grabbing the mag by the base plate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts