1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a NIB Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail afew days ago from my son-in-law. I've had other 1911's before, but this is my first Dan Wesson. I do need to get 3 or 4 more magazines. So, what would all of you experts out there consider to be the VERY BEST magazines for the CBOB? Price is no object.
BTW, I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet, but this thing has a better feel than any other 1911 I've had the pleasure to own.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I have never had a single problem with CMC Powermags in my CBOB. Much of it is personal preference.
Congratulations on a great purchase.
By the way, you will love this gun so much you will purchase another in no time. A Razorback would be in order.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have a Dan Wesson CBOB that came with two DW blued magazines with the DW logo. I also have 10 Springfield 7 round stainless magazines. I have used these 12 magazines with my CBOB and everything has worked fine.

I just bought 10 Chip McCormick 8 round Powermag magazines and have not gotten to the range yet. All that I have tried fit well and cycle round through the gun fine by racking the slide and ejecting the unshot rounds through the ejection port. Note that I have been very careful while doing this and made sure the gun was pointed in a direction that was safe.

Luke

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Just make sure you buy flush-fitting mags, otherwise you lose the concealment benefit of the bobtail. I prefer round-top Metalforms. The famous Wilsons will extend the length of your grip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I can tell it's a fantastic handgun just by it's feel. I was looking at the Chip McCormick 8 round power mags. I was wondering how they effect concealability. ie, how far do they stick out.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
271 Posts
SectorSteve said:
So far I can tell it's a fantastic handgun just by it's feel. I was looking at the Chip McCormick 8 round power mags. I was wondering how they effect concealability. ie, how far do they stick out.
Thanks,
Steve
I roll with a flush-mount mag in while it's carried, and I carry a spare 8-round that has the pad. No effect on the bobtail when it's on the other side :D

ETA Pics-

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Totally agree with SCW about the spare!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics SCW. That's exactly what I needed to see. I think I'll get a couple McCormick 8 round mags to carry for back up.
Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up a new CBOB today(mfg date 1-08-08) and love it. 150 rounds through it tonight and no problems. I prefer the Wilson mag springs and plastic follower. Does anyone know if Wilson sells a kit to convert the DW mags to Wilson style?

I also have a PM7 and like the flush DW mags that it came with it, but would like to convert those to Wilson style too. I will probably use these flush mags for CCW on my CBOB, but they only hold 7 rounds:( Does anyone make a flush 8 round magazine?

I have a Wilson with the small base plate, but it is still not flush. Also have a Kimpro mag that is flush, but not real crazy about it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like the Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags. Although I install Pachmayer rubber baby buggy bumpers on all of my 1911 mags. They do not affect concealibility whatsoever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kimber Mags

I'm not sure if it would be the same for a CBOB, or if I should post this elsewhere, but I purchased and tried out 2 of the Kimber Mags (8 round, flush fit, stainless) this past weekend in my PM7 and experienced feed problems with both. With the gun empty and slide forward neither mag wanted to push all the way up, both feeling like they were too tall/long. This even with only 7 rounds in the mags... With the slide retracted they would push up easily, but once locked-in, they felt loose in the up-down direction, experiencing a 1/16 inch or so of easy vertical play. When firing in slow succession (using 230g, FMJ, WWB), after the empty casing was ejected the slide would load the new round, but a couple of times with each mag it would stop ~ 1/4" short of returning to full forward...?? After all this I tried my factory supplied 7 rounders (wondering if I had a non-mag related problem), but all worked that way fine as usual.

Maybe the Kimbers I got were "off" or something, I don't know, but as ever, I returned them to my local dealer and am ordering a couple from Dan Wesson tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts