1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about 400 rounds into break-in on my Commander.. Still lots of ftf with multiple brands of ammo. The problem seems to stem from the cartridge failing to point up in the magazine. This happens with several different brands of magazine. It's almost as though the bullets are too short.
Has anyone experienced this? If not what type ammo and magazine are you most comfortable with.
I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I’ve got 1120 rounds thru my Guardian 38 Super. Im still “breaking it in”. I experienced a few FTFeed, a couple of FTEject and one instance of the slide stop/release walking out of the frame. I sent it back to DW and while there, had them put a 38Super rear sight on. Apparently, the 38SUPER Guardian comes with a 9mm rear sight, which for me didn’t work with a 6o’clock hold. TAT took about 10 days. Haven’t had a problem since then. I use Megtech 38 Super/130 grain FMJ to generate brass for reloading and MecGar mags for the Guardian and all my other 1911s. Good ammo, great mags. It now shoots my reloads and factory ammo without issue. It can be amazingly accurate.
My goal was to use the Guardian as my alternate ECD. It’s not there just yet. I like the Guardian, otherwise I would have sold it on. Keep plugging away with it. I think it’s worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use Mec-Gar and only Mec-Gar mags in all my 1911s, CZ's and Sigs. Never have mag issues in any of my guns.
Amazing to read about folks spending crazy $$$$ on Tripp, McCormick, Wilson mags trying to find what works.

Greg Cote is the Mec-Gar man!!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Bought one late last year and for whatever reason only wanted to run on the factory supplied magazines... After a couple hundred rounds it seems to be running ok on others mags also.

Noticed that the supplies of the Guardian in .38 Super has dried up...almost none on the market right now. There are NONE on GunBroker and the last one that sold yesterday was a used one that sold for $1176.00...

..a lot of gun for the money...

Anyone put an extra 9mm barrel in theirs?

Bob

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Good grief, you guys have a lot of money invested in "break in ammo" :eek: If I was 1100 rounds into "break in" I would have cut bait some time ago.

Davidj- If it's happening with all mag and ammo brands, it's probably not the mags and ammo. ;)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Maybe I have just been lucky but I have used Wilson, McCormick and Ed Brown with great success for all. Most recently the Ed Brown on sale. Never tried MecGar but I have used their on other weapons with good results as well.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I bought an additional 9 barrel from DW and fitted to my 38S. I've run maybe 20 rounds thru it last year to prove it would and shelved it.

I reload for my 38Supers and keep 500-700 in stock. I've since added a 38S Brown.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I run 10 round Wilson Combat's never had a problem with those or 9 round flush fit Ed Brown's, using 129 Fiocci ammo. In fact I have several thousand round through it without a single issue.

And, a 38 super rear sight, really ? Never, ever heard of such a thing

·
Registered
56 Posts
And, a 38 super rear sight, really ? Never, ever heard of such a thing
Yep. My Guardian was shooting about 4" low. I read about some of them coming with 9mm rear sights. I talked to DW who verified the 9mm sight & sent them my slide for the 38 Super sight. Took about 5 days door to door. Now it shoots POA.
I feel kind of lucky I guess. DW says to "break in" for 200 rounds. I had two failures to go into battery in the first 10 rounds. After that it hasn't missed a step.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts