1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first 1911, a Kimber Stainless Gold Match II. I have been reading about the standard kimber magazine not being very good and wanted to see which magazines you guys would recomend that i get for my new 1911. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've never had any problems with any of the Kimber mags, but I do prefer the Wilson Combat 47D's. They are an 8 round mag that will perform flawlessly. I also like the Kim-Pro Tac mags from Kimber. (also 8 round) You should have no problems going with either of these mags.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I've been using 8 rnd mags : Chip McCormick shooting stars and Kimber mags with Wolff +5% power springs. Most will say stay with 7 rnd cap. for reliability but I haven't had problems with the 8 rnd yet. I think the problem with Kimber mags is just the spring they use. I keep extra springs for all my 1911's including mag springs (Wolff).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
ditto.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any of the magazines mentioned above should work. I personally prefer the Wilson's. And we have them at great prices right now :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
1911 Magazines

I have had excellent luck with both Wilson Combat and Kimber Kim-pro Tac mags in all my 1911s.

Best regards.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just purchased my first and second Kimbers. I picked up an Eclipse Ultra II with the serial number oddly enough ending in 1911, and ordered a Stainless Ultra Carry II. Still waiting on the Stainless to come in before I take them both to the range along with my full size HK USP .49 to compare the three.

I've read many forums about the magazines and want to give the factory mags a chance but also have ordered a few KimPro mags and want to get a few Wilsons as well.

Is the Wilson Combat Magazine 7 rd (Officers, Compact) item number
WC47OX on Shooters plus the correct mag for the Kimber Ultra models?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any thoughts on mec-gar/Kimbers working together...might be a moot point as I've swapped out my mag release...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have found that Wilson 47Ds, Novaks, and Kimpro Tac mags work well in my Kimber. In that order. The Novaks work well in my other 1911 too, although the Wilsons don't.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good magazines are the best spent money when it comes to 1911 reliability. I have a few of the old original Wilson-Rogers stainless mags that I bought in the 80s. Excellent stuff... Decades ago while watching the work that MTU Armorers put into magazines I understood that it was the shape of the lips and follower that make or break the magazine. In recent years when I buy new magazines they are Metalform...

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Wilson 47D's have worked very well in my full size 1911. I just got the 47OX for my ultra but have not tried them yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts