1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A relative recently gave me an Auto-Ordnance .45 1911-A1. One problem that I noticed immediately (actually there were several) was that an empty magazine want drop out when the mag release is pushed in. I have to grab the magazine and pull it out by hand. I noticed that when inserting the magazine, it goes in freely except for the last inch or so and then I can feel it getting tight and requiring more pressure to push it on home. It locks up and feeds the rounds just fine. It's just that it doesn't want to drop out when released. I've already ordered some Wilson magazines to replace this factory mag, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the cause and what I might do myself to remedy the problem. Thanks very much.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check the outside of your mags to see if you can find tell tale signs of scratches. Try matching them to determine the location of interference. I had exactly that happen to my Gold Cup, turned out to be one of the top grip bushings was not swaged properly, the bottom of it would touch certain mags and caused the release problem. I stoned it flush and at the same time polished the inside of the trigger bow just in case it touched the mag as well, since these two items are in the general area where I noticed the drag as well. It has been fine since.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sammy. I did notice that the grip bushing swages on the two bushings on the right side were a little high and thought this might be a problem, but wasn't sure. However, want stoning the swage down that far cause the grip bushing to come loose (or out)? If not, I'm getting out the stones. Thanks.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sammy. I did notice that the grip bushing swages on the two bushings on the right side were a little high and thought this might be a problem, but wasn't sure. However, want stoning the swage down that far cause the grip bushing to come loose (or out)? If not, I'm getting out the stones. Thanks.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Had that problem with one of my 1911's. It turned out to be the center finger of the leaf spring. It was over bowed and stuck out into the mag well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just removed enough metal to get rid of the interference, the bushings never came loose. I also polished the outside of the mags as only a couple of the mags had this problem and I thought they might be a little oversized.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all very much for your help. It turns out that is was the swages on the top grip bushing (left side). I took a fine file to it and knocked it down a little and followed up with a little stoning and that did the trick. Empty magazines fall right out when released. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

------------------
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts