1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed in a lot of other threads but I wanted to start a new dedicated just to what magazines (Brands, Models..) everybody is choosing to use in their Kimbers. What mags do you use in what Pistols and why. I am looking to buy new replacement/extra mags for my TLE/RL II and Ultra Carry II. I am leaning towards either Tripp Research A8-MG and A7-MO or Wilsond Combat 47D and 47DOX.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mags used for my kimbers

I have two kimbers. I use mostly metalform mags these are the stainless mag with the round follower and a removeable floorplate. I have never had a problem with them. I also have wilson and a few chip mccormicks. My kimbers must not be that picky as I dont have any mag problems. I really like the metalform mags. I am thinking of buying the metalform elite mag.This seems to me to be the same or very close in design to the tripp mags.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use both the Wilson and now the Tripp mags. Both the Wilson and Tripp mags are very good, however! now that I have the Tripp Cobra mags in my Kimber UCDP II (in-extractor of course) they are to me a better quality even than the Wilsons. I have not had any trouble with either the Wilson's or the Cobra's yet only the Kimber mags, with about 5 FTF in 500 rounds, not bad but if I can get 100% from the better mags that is what I want. I have gone 500 more rounds with 0 failures using both mag types.

The I think that the Wilson mags are a step or even two steps up from the Kimbers but the Cobra mags are a step or even two steps better than the Wilson's IMO, I also think the longevity of the Cobra mags are superior to the Wilson. But I will tell you that I am fine with both. Also the Cobra mags are 9 rounds in my Kimber .40 S&W so I wanted them for the range and I am ordering the 8 round mags from Tripp for carry that fit more flush. Here are the comparison's ~

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/features/features.htm

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/upgrade/upgrade.htm

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
In my full-size gun, I use Wilson 8 and 10 round mags with good success. I have also used Metalform 7-rounders with welded baseplates and metal followers without any problems.

In my old Ultra-CDP-II I used Wilson 7 and 8 round mags with excellent results.

·
Registered
877 Posts
For 8-rd mags, most of mine are the Mitchell branded copies of the CMC Power Mags that CDNN used to have. I also have a few "genuine" Power Mags and some Wilsons.

For 10rd, most of mine are again the Mitchell branded copies of the 10-rd Power Mags. I have one CMC Power Mag, and I'm slowly acuiring a few Wilsons. I like the Wilsons because they don't need any modification to fit into guns with extended mag wells, but the Power Mags work just as well in my guns.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Wilson 47s, 47OX for my shorter guns.

All of my single-stack 1911s are fed by Wilson mags, I have at least four for every pistol. Cheaper mags get used at the range only. All are seven round, even if they left the factory holding eight.

·
Registered
400 Posts
rhino465 said:
For 8-rd mags, most of mine are the Mitchell branded copies of the CMC Power Mags that CDNN used to have. I also have a few "genuine" Power Mags and some Wilsons.

For 10rd, most of mine are again the Mitchell branded copies of the 10-rd Power Mags. I have one CMC Power Mag, and I'm slowly acuiring a few Wilsons. I like the Wilsons because they don't need any modification to fit into guns with extended mag wells, but the Power Mags work just as well in my guns.

Ditto, but unfortunately I don't think CDNN has them anymore. I'd now go with branded CMC Power Mags from Midway or Natchez. Wilson's springs seem weak to me in comparison CMC springs.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Tripp magazines 8 and 10 round) have yielded the best results for me. Although I have several Wilson's, they have a weaker spring and have given me difficulty in completely seating. I also like the Metalform mags with the convex follower, although they only hold 7 rounds.

Check out the Tripp Research website for some great comparative photos, as well as a great explanation of how they designed their magazines to be superior. Read it and then make an intelligent decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I only use Chip McCormick 10 Rd Powermags. I shoot steel and IPSC matches with my Kimber SS II and have not had any magazine problems at all. I purchased the magazines from Midwayusa.com for 17.00 each.

Teche

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wilson's for me. I bought one 7round mag for my fullsize and it worked great, so I bought 2 more 8 rounders and they also work flawlessly. Sure the other's work great also over the factory mag.... but I ain't fixing what ain't broke for me;)

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
23 Posts
my mags

I bought Chip McCormick 8 round SS mags. I wanted all steel, 8 round, flush fitting mags, these seemed to be the best choice. They were $18/each at Natchez after shipping. I haven't used them yet, going to the range tomorrow. I also have the stock Kimber mag and a Wilson 47T. They both work well. See pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use Wilson mags, and I love them. I haven't tried McCormick mags after I noticed the metal follower on them can really move around when empty. A friend picked up a couple for his Les Baer TRS, and after one session at the range, the followers in them were scratching the finish up right under the feed ramp. Needless to say he was not amused. After seeing that, I vowed I would never run one of those in any of my 1911s.

I did try some Tripp Mag kits, and a couple of full on Tripp mags. In both cases my Eclipse would not eject reliably. The next round in the mag was pushing up hard on the spent brass that it was being wedge on the roof of the slide. Switched back to the Wilson mags and all problems immediately disappeared. For whatever reason, my Eclipse doesn't like them one bit. So I will stick to Wilson mags. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.