1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Chip McCormick Match grade 8 rd mag recommended here for use in the Ed Brown Commander length guns? I took a look at the archives and that one seems to be recommended. Just asking before I place an order for them.

My one complaint is that for the price of an Ed Brown, you should get more than 1 mag!

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
All of my Browns (SF, Kobra, EE) work like a champ w/ WC 47Ds.

Cheers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the point of the topic. Some here say the McCormick Match grade works great for them. Is there anyone saying it doesn't? Sure the $40 mags work good. How about the $20 mags?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I use metal form. That's who makes EB 7 rounders.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Me too. Metalform round top follower 7 round magazines. Just like came with the pistol.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop used these on their $2500 pistols too.

Neither wanted to risk their pistol's reputation on second string magazines.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hearsay.

I haven't gotten my KC that is on order from George at GS yet, but a friend of mine that has a SFC loves the EB 8 rounders. He has tried several other brands that he says are OK, but he favors the EB 8 rounders. I have shot the pistol with the EB 8 rounders and it performed super for me, but as I have not used the mags more than once I can only pass along his satisfaction. No doubt the recommendations by the other guys above are great also. I wonder if any of the members that have responded above have used the mags I speak of and what they think about them? Good luck! :)

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have had great results with Chip Mc mags in my Kobra..

Others have had great results with ACT mags.. Not me, although my ACT mags work GREAT in my Colt.. Go figure..

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
When I ordered my KC through George, I had him get me five extra EB mags. They work great. I've also used some Kimber mags modified with Tripp guts. These wrok well, too.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
CMC mags work fine most of the time. I use them when I want a flush-fit. But there is no free lunch. The follower can rock forward which can cause two issues:

1. The slide won't lock back when empty.
2. The mag won't drop free when the follower rocks.

Since I strip my mags, no big deal.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good to know. George didn't have any Ed Brown mags but he did have a couple of 47Ds so I'll get those. He also had Nighthawk mags but I didn't ask about them.

Just for kicks, how many mags do you like to have per gun? For my G19, I have 7 or 8 factory hi-cap mags and that's plenty. For my Uzi, I've probably got 2 dozen...for my custom AK-47, about 2 dozen. For my match grade target pistols (rimfire), only 2 or 3 each, which isn't as many as I would like. I'll be getting more 1911 mags.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I run ACT mags with a Novak roll-mark for the warranty. The last time I bought some, I spent $200-300 in sitting.

Or said another way, "I like 'em so much, I almost bought the company".

Hopes this answers your question. :)

Regards,
Greyson

P.S. Honorable mention for the EB 8-pack. They seem to hold-up and I can't find any deficiencies. Highly recommended. EB 7-rounders, not so much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the kind of data that is good to know...8 rounders more reliable than 7 rounders from the same brand. That could save someone a lot of $...at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
That's the kind of data that is good to know...8 rounders more reliable than 7 rounders from the same brand. That could save someone a lot of $...at a minimum.
I disagree.

Brown doesn't make his magazines anyway so this doesn't reflect on them....but I find EB 7 rounders to be very unreliable in my weapons. And the 8 rounders are good to go.

Advice: it is tempting, and human nature, to want to look at this issue make a judgement and move on. But the fact magazines are hotly talked about from every maker is a what is known as a clue. Your calculus won't hold up to reality.

I suggest you wait and see what happens for you and your ammo.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I use the Ed Brown 7-round mags at the range, but when I carry I always use Tripp Research Cobra Mags.

I'm probably the only one here, but I've actually had relatively bad luck with Wilson mags.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see your point and agree to the extent that there will never be a consensus...too many variables for that. I'm not looking for the end all be all of magazines because it doesn't exist.

However, a topic like this can be very practical and beneficial. I have already narrowed my selection to a few main choices to try with my gun that have worked for members of this forum with the same gun. In that light, I have indeed saved money, time, etc.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have used Brown's, Colt and Wilson and never had a problem with any of them. I like the Wilson for ease of cleaning:).
Just saying.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts