1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting delivery of my Kimber CDP Compact this week. As with my other pistols, I want to have extra magazines for the Kimber to carry and to have when I practice at the range.

A number of postings have touched slightly on the fact that Kimber magazines are not the best and that Wilsons are a better choice.

What is the story on this? Are the Kimbers not made well, don't load properly or what?

Also, what mfg # and capacity do you suggest I order?

Will appreciate comments.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not that Kimbers are not made well, but it seems that no one has been able to match Wilsons reliability and durability. One of the best testaments to their reputation was the specification of "wilson 8 rd" magazines in the FBI HRT gun specs. They come with different base pads which change the stock number, but any mag from Wilson will do you right.

[This message has been edited by Sarge51 (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
853 Posts
I haven't had a lick of trouble with Kimber magazines. I have Wilsons for my Ultra Carry also but I have full faith and confidence in the Kimber magazines as well.

I wouldn't go over 7 rounds. It is my experience that if you are going to have trouble it's going to be with the 8 round mags.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO the Wilson mags are the best for the 1911. In a pinch I have used McCormicks also.

I use 7 and 8 rounders without any problems but each gun is different. Try different capacity mags for reliability

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ditto on the Wilson mags. Use them for your primary magazines. The Model 47D 8-rounders are what you need. The only practical reason to use the 7-rounders are for concealed carry (the end of the magazine is flat to the bottom of the grip). Some say the 7-rounders are "more reliable" because of the rounder shaped follower. I personally have not found any difference between the 7 or 8-rounders in terms of reliability providing you regularily clean the magazine inside & out, as well as replace the springs on a regular basis (at least annually).

·
Registered
289 Posts
For carry, go with Wilsons. I have a Kimber Ultra Eclipse. The Kimber mag (supposedly a CMC Shooting Star) would not feed even ball ammo consistently. Bought 2 Wilson's, the thing feeds everything including SWCs, JHPs, and even empties.

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO http://markco.gunsnet.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
100% in favor of the Wilson's. I have 7 rounders for both carry and IPSC, reliable every time, even after a day of being dropped in the dirt at matches

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wilson 8 rounders. I'm also going to try the 10 rounders too.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts