1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if anyone here owns the Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle III in .45? All steel frame, 10rds. Looks like a CZ to my eye. I don’t care for polymer guns so this one caught my eye because I’d like to try something new beyond a 1911. Thoughts? Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Super Moderator
15,621 Posts
I have one of those in 9mm from when they first came out, and it is a very gun gun for a non-1911. When they first came out, they were only offered in 9mm and .40 S&W, but it is interesting to see that they have added the .45 to the line-up. I haven't seen one in .45, so I can't really speak to that model, but my 9mm has been a solid performer since I got it.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I had one years ago. I still regret letting it get away.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Baby Eagle III is new. I believe this just came out last year.

Edit to add that I was mistaken. The pistol in the form pictured above is a few years old.

·
Registered
327 Posts
About 18ish years ago I bought one in 9mm. Sold it a few years later. My only complaint was the trigger shape. No issues of any kind that I can remember. As to looking like a cz, pretty sure I bought holsters for cz's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious if anyone here owns the Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle III in .45? All steel frame, 10rds. Looks like a CZ to my eye. I don’t care for polymer guns so this one caught my eye because I’d like to try something new beyond a 1911. Thoughts?
I saw one at my range shop and had to ask to look at it up close. I fell in love with it but couldn't shell out for a new gun at the moment. Yes it's a meaty CZ clone with the slide gliding smooth just like the CZs. The pistol I had in my hands was a .45 ACP and it felt some ergonomic. Steel version. The manual safety/decocker was a nice feature.
Definitely in my bucket list.

·
Premium Member
10,479 Posts
One thing is for sure, there’s no mistaking them for a plastic........
I have one of the big guys and most of the guys shooting Glocks with their girlfriend leave right away. 😂

·
Super Moderator
15,621 Posts
One thing is for sure, there’s no mistaking them for a plastic........
I have one of the big guys and most of the guys shooting Glocks with their girlfriend leave right away. 😂
All I have to do is send a few 325 gr. downrange at 1400 fps - range gets sparsely populated pretty quick. :)

Reactions: Harley Fan

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just my two cents, but there are three show-stoppers for me. First, the really curly trigger is usually not conducive to good trigger pull in double action mode. Second, the beaver tail looks to be too low, preventing a nice high grip on the gun to facilitate good recoil control and follow-up shots. Combine that with the thumb safety being waaayy up there on the slide, which means you have to move your hand from firing position to operate the safety. That gun would be a no-go for me. But you need to handle it to see if it works for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just my two cents, but there are three show-stoppers for me. First, the really curly trigger is usually not conducive to good trigger pull in double action mode. Second, the beaver tail looks to be too low, preventing a nice high grip on the gun to facilitate good recoil control and follow-up shots. Combine that with the thumb safety being waaayy up there on the slide, which means you have to move your hand from firing position to operate the safety. That gun would be a no-go for me. But you need to handle it to see if it works for you.
Except for the safety lever being too high I found the gun to my liking.

The curved trigger was an easy pull to the back even at double action and no issues riding the grip high. I have a Glock and S&W MP for duty and those have bunny tails so any beaver tail is just a big help but not compulsory for me.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
Combine that with the thumb safety being waaayy up there on the slide, which means you have to move your hand from firing position to operate the safety.
It's a DA/SA gun. The slide mounted safety is a safety/decocker. The primary function is as a decocker. The intention is the gun would be carried in DA mode with the safety off.

Carrying with the hammer down and the safety engaged on these DA/SA guns is the equivalent of carrying a 1911 in Condition 2 or Condition 3. Sure, you can do it, and people do, but it's not the way most folks carry the gun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a DA/SA gun. The slide mounted safety is a safety/decocker. The primary function is as a decocker. The intention is the gun would be carried in DA mode with the safety off.

Carrying with the hammer down and the safety engaged on these DA/SA guns is the equivalent of carrying a 1911 in Condition 2 or Condition 3. Sure, you can do it, and people do, but it's not the way most folks carry the gun.
Makes a lot sense. At least to me who's not well versed with DA/SA. All my handguns are SAO.
I found that feature awesome though. Really makes me want this gun more.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
The safety can be used for administrative handling or when the gun is carried off body, such as in a bag, or when being stored. It gives you safety options, but you don't have to carry the gun with the safety engaged.

·
Registered
933 Posts

Yes, I know that. But all things being equal, if the OP wants a gun of this style, a CZ is a much better option IMHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts