1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my embarassment, I've tried reloading my Leatherman into my P7M8. Since then I've carried it on the strong side to keep from confusing it with my magazines.

Problem is if I put just the mags on the weak side and the gun, phone, Leatherman, OC, on the strong side, I'm going to walk around in circles.

Other than practice, is there any recommendations of how I can place the stuff on my belt more...ahem...tactically?

TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
All I take with me when I go out is....

My Pistol worn on strong side (right) in an IWB holster, extra mag in left front pocket and a cell phone. No mag pouches, multi pliers or such. I wish they put that useless little right front pocket on the left side. It is perfect for my seven rounders. Until then, My spare mag will have to jingle with my keys in the left front. I just got my CHL, but thinking back to my army days, I got tired of carying alot of unneeded stuff.

Robert.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
It's all unneeded stuff until you need it.

I carry a lot less than I used to. I have left home the multi-tool, mag pouches, 1911 and the flashlight. I do it with a J frame now. Heresy, I know. I could have used the flashlight a few times for very not tactical use.

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I'm hauling all my crap...

1911 strong side IWB
2 spare mags: left rear pocket
Leatherman Wave: next to wallet, right front pocket
lockblade in left front pocket, if it's with
LED light on jeep keys: change pocket right front
other keys, money clip etc.: left front pocket
change etc.: right rear pocket
cell phone: jacket or shirt pocket as I don't have a belt holster for this one yet, would ride right front on belt if I did.
I do keep a surefire in my jacket pocket.

The LED light is a single bulb unit about the size of a quarter. Not much punch but it's always there. Get one with an on/off switch, makes it much more useful.

Sometimes I pare the wallet down to ID and plastic then I shuffle the leatherman and lockblade around. I also pare down if I'm just using the P32 and not my 1911.

Hope this helps,
Steelheart

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Wear your multitool further back on your belt like where you would wear, for lack of a better term, a redneck type folding knife pouch.

I personally keep my pepper spray in my left front pocket (thats strongside for me) with my wallet.

I want to be able to get to it without lifting up my shirt and revealing my firearm.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Sidearm (at 8:00-8:30) and key thing (O'Kay's Key Safe or OC clip, at 9:30-10:00) on "strong" side.
Mag pouch vertically on "weak" side toward rear (4:00), with cell phone mounted horizontally in front of that (3:00) and pager yet farther forward of the cell phone (2:00).

Never any confusion, though it would be helpful to have your multi-tool and spare mag in different case-formats. For instance, my mag pouch is open top, while the cell phone case and pager case are closed-top affairs, as well as being differently located and oriented on the belt.

I have a keychain flashlight and multi-tool which suffice, instead of belt-mounted types.

Loading the multi-tool into the P7M8 would have been worth seeing, Skunk!

"Tactical? I hate the word, as I hate Hell, all Montagues, and thee!"
--Tybalt, Romeo & Juliet

·
Registered
134 Posts
Batman would be envious of some of your utility belts. Although I completely understand, I can't imagine carrying all that stuff. Now shark repellent...that's a must.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Skunk,

I once tried to speedload a CRKT Kasper Companion into the magwell of my 1911.....at Gunsite no less:(

Put your Leatherman in it's closed top nylon case behind your mag pouch. Should work.

Hey, don't you wear RR 5.11's ????? Get a couple of pocket organizers and move some of the "bat belt" equipment into those cargo pockets.....works for me.

regards

·
Registered
192 Posts
For me:

IWB - 4-5 o'clock

Leatherman replaced with Micra Leatherman, goes in the 5th pocket of my jeans.

Dorcy Spyder flashlight, left rear pocket.

No spare mags yet until I find an IWB tuckable mag pouch.

Cell phone 9 o'clock. Put on desk during the day.

Spare flashlights are kept in the truck, or in other

I also am in Alaska, and during winter, jackets with lots of pockets. Am learning to shop for clothes based on the number of pockets. =)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree that multi tools are cool, but unless you need it on a daily basis for your job or something, just keep one in the glove compartment. It seems you're trying to do too much in the way of what's at your fingertips at any moment. Good luck, be safe.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
After seeing what you carry on another forum I think you need a tactical purse. :)

I would probably really cut down on all the stuff that you carry if you are having problems. I work with a guy who carrys so much crap on his belt that he practically need suspenders to hold his pants up.

Multitools are ok but IMO limited for light duty. Evaluate your situation and ask yourself how many times you've actually used your tactical knife as opposed to your multitool. If your only using your knives to open envelopes and look cool, just replace it all with a SAK. No need to carry multiple flashlights since a photon led light on the key chain will work just fine. If you really want to have all this stuff with you get a small pack or duffle bag.

This is what I would carry:
  • Gun
  • 1 magazine
  • Led flashlight on key chain.
  • Knife (one that fits my needs.)
  • Cell phone

But then again everyones needs are different. I'm a minimalist in general. I the stuff on me would either help me to get to my house or my car to get anything else that I would need.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm ambioudexterous, the result of parents who had a lef handed kid and wanted a right hander. My best advice is to get some stregnth building devices for the hand, an old tennis ball will work, and practice, then you will have no weak side. Sure supprised my gun instructor when he found out I could hip shoo equally well with either hand. Handy trick when in the desert swinging a metal detector.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Royal Robbins 5.11 pants are great, however they scream "COP" or even "Federale" to anyone paying attention. Having said that, in or on the 5.11 I carry

Gunsite instructor belt (you'll read why in a minute)
G22 (I know, but the Gumint issued it) (3:00)
ITI M3 tac light (10:00) on UM carrier
2 extra mags on belt (9:00) UM Carrier
Pager (7:30)
Nextel (Front pocket)
Flex cuffs (Cargo left)
CRKT M16 knife (cargo right)
2 sets of keys (Left & Right)
Extra mag for G36 (Left Rear)

Now all I needs is tactical suspenders

:D

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think we all fight this battle. I want to carry my Leatherman, but I keep it in the car. It's just too much. I wear:

5.11 Pants
1.75" Wilderness 5 stitch
5" 1911 in Galco Avenger @ 3:30
DeSantis Double Mag Pouch @ 8:30
OC in small right side cargo pocket
Surefire L-4 in left rear
Folding knife (currently Camillus Dominator) in right rear
Wallet in right rear
Keys & money clip in right front (BM Benchmite and Photon on keyring)
Fisher pen, loose change, and cell phone in left front

In the car:

First aid kit in trunk
Breakdown kit in trunk
Knife with tungsten glass breaker (as well as a few others)
21" ASP Baton in map pocket
Leatherman in console
Machete in trunk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Now add the stuff for a toddler and a baby -- pacifier, lip balm, Anbesol, Kleenex and a small toy or two and you can live MY delimna. ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
GrandmasterB said:
Now add the stuff for a toddler and a baby -- pacifier, lip balm, Anbesol, Kleenex and a small toy or two and you can live MY delimna. ;)
You forgot the kidlet food, diapers for all concerned, sippy cup, books for toddler, diaper wipes, change of clothes for each kidlet in case of diaper blowout,...uh, have I forgotten anything?
:confused:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Minimalist

Kimber compact on left hip
Extra mag on right hip
2nd extra mag in change pocket or cargo pocket depends on pants
Keys in front right
Cel phone in front left
Wallet in rear or cargo pocket

Now my flight suit is a whole 'nother story:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am plainclothes LEO. Daily carry when I'm not doing a raid, etc.
1. Sig pistol OWB on right side hip (strong side) around the 3:30 position.
2. Badge directly in front of pistol, sometimes on neck chain.
3. 1 Spare mag in kydex carrier in front (around the 11:00 position.
4. Folding knife on strong side pocket.
5. Work cell phone in holster between 8:30 and 9:00 position.
6. Personal cell phone inside front strong side pocket.
7. Wallet in back pocket.
8. Badge/credentials in front weak side pocket.
9. ASP in coat pocket or back pants pocket.
10. Generally don't carry cuffs - leave them in the car w/other gear - ie: multitool, camera, etc.
11. Surefire in other coat pocket or in Rafter sharkskin holder (yet to come).

Off duty carry is pretty much the same. During the day I may keep the surefire in the car or at home. Try to always carry the ASP on me though. Still looking for a better way to carry it (see my other post in Holsters and Accessories:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts