1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some mags to replace the stock Kimber that came with my Pro. I have alot of GI mags but would like the group's opinion. I've tried CMSS mags in my Springfields w/o trouble. Some have suggested Wilson 7 rounders, bare based in the gun, padded for the belt.
Ideas?...e

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would recommend the Wilson 47D mags. I would stay away from the CMSS mags since it is possible for the follower on those mags to move forward as the last round exits the magazine.
This can cause two problems. First, the magazine can fail to "drop free". Second, in extreme cases, the pointed tip of the follower can gouge the feed ramp on your alloy frame.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I saw that problem with my Springfields but not when using the PowerMag series. Didn't know if it applied to the Kimbers...e

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the replies both on and off the board. I've got 3 CMPM 8 rounders on the way and a 10 round just to experiment with<G>...e

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure as I haven't seen them yet, however the seller says he's familiar with the problem you mentioned and has not seen this happen with the PM. The followers are more stable and slightly reconfigured to prevent forward motion. Personally, I never experienced what you mentioned when using SSs in my Springfields but that's not to say it won't occur in the Kimber. I'll update when they arrive and do a comparison with the Wilsons I'll be picking up over the weekend...e

·
Registered
246 Posts
e,
Do you have your mags yet? I'm still curious to know what is different about them. I'm mainly interested in what the followers look like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the follower, there's not much difference,but I can't force it forward as much as I can with the regular SS mags. I've run about 500 rounds through the two PMs that I just received last week and there were no stoppages whatsoever. Of course the same can be said for the mag of unknown origin that came with the Pro CDP.
YMMV...e

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought a couple Wilson 47Ds for the Pro CDP. When I seat my bullets properly, one of the Wilsons seems to be FTFing more than the other.
When I once loaded my Hornady FMJ combat targets to short, the
8rd Kimber mag feed the mistakes the best of all. The Wilsons FTFed almost every round.
I'm going to pay attention to the problem Wilson mag and if it doesn't straighten out, I'm sending it in.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The CMC mags are all the same. The Kimbers are too...When they change contractors, the mags are sometimes completely different. I had a standing offer for anyone that wanted to give me their old SA mags for 45 or whatever...Never got a one.
After the pistols were fixed, they worked just fine...I bought some Kimbers a while back when the locals were out of CMCs'...They look exactly the same...
Wilson, Mec-Gar, Pachmayer and a couple others have a different follower set-up, the rest look pretty much the same as CMC, KImber etc...There just aren't a whole lot of different companies that actually make magazines...Just some subtle differences from co to co...The main thing is to get the right springs in them...Wolff makes very good springs and they come in different -weights- as well...get the 10-11lb spring weights in the correct length for your mags and they should work 'til you wear them out in a year or so...if you shoot a lot...If they aren't used, they don't wear...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts