1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any idea what a set of dual mag pouches with WW1 2-tones are woth,the set is unused. also are the commercial 1914 colts worth about the same as the Gi guns?
TIA

Ray

[This message has been edited by sparrow (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
The WW1 pouches are still readily available from many vendors. A huge warehouse full of them was discovered a couple of years ago. Currently they're worth less than $20.

A commercial 1911 will typically be worth less than a true GI issue gun, due to less collector interest. Aside from that there are too many other variables to make a firm assessment.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I feel the Military 1911s were ridden hard. And the Commercials had it soft(not the holster wear or harsh environment conditions) that the M1911s had. This is when they served and Collectors love this aspect. Where a condition freak likes the soft life Commercials. So it depends on your personnal interests. Most surviving M1911s are part of collections as are rare Commercials so good luck to you. You must have more input for an accurate value assesment. Original or refinish and finish rating on an original finish are the biggest ratings. Then originality of internals, magazine and, grips is second.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
Really nice two-tone mags go for $50-$75 each, unless they're a rare variation (Springfield, lanyard loop, etc.). The pouch doesn't add much value.

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
I don't know why, but I have never seen a pre-War commercial that was in as good a shape as half the military guns I've observed. Maybe the fine-polished Colt blue finish was a lot less durable, maybe nobody outside the Army knew what cotton rags were for, whatever. I just picked up a Colt Hammerless .380 (1915 mfg.) in excellent mechanical shape, but the outside blue is almost all gone. It was obviously carried a lot more than it was fired.

Anyway, if anybody has a nice old commercial Colt of any kind in 95+% condition I wanna see a photo of it. I almost forgot what they're supposed to look like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts