1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a P-16 LTD that only came w/ 1 high cap mag. It’s a great shooter. It’s had some work to include an oversized mag well. My question is what’s the smartest way (cheapest) to go about getting more mags for it? Build them from scratch? Buy Pro-mags and change the base pad????????
I’m a single stack defense/ tactical guy, looking to try something new (limited/limited 10) so I’m new to this fat body thing and thought that I’d ask before a started to shell out the bucks! Thanks.

Knick

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
In my experiences, factory Para mags work the best. Pricey - yes. Reliable - yes.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Knick, if you live in the U.S. it would be illegal to build your mags from scratch.

Just wanted you to know before you got yourself in hot water :) .

Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mags

Dawson Precision specifically advised me that the Para mags are far superior in Para guns. They said they have had trouble using the STI mags in the Para specifically. I went with their advise and have had zero mag issues.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have also heard of bad news using Pro mags in Paras. I just bit the bullet and paid for the para mags. I found them for $47 at one of the parts houses (I think it is Andean). Cheaper Than Dirts is about $56 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
BTW: you'll notice I posted the same question about ten clicks down (1640 mags). FWIW, I did check Gunbroker but they have only .45 mags for Para. The .40 mags are not common so there are no used ones floating around. That's why I ended up shelling out $47/each for 1640 mags at Andean.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The 45 Para mags are good. The 9mm/38 super Para mags are not the best. The 40 mags are in the middle. If you look at the USPSA nationals and see what people are using in their guns look at the better shooters. I realize Todd Jarret uses Para mags but that what he does. A great many of the other who shoot Para's use the STI mags. Far more in 9MM/38Super than 45.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
New Mags Arrived

Bought three new 1640 mags (para factory mags). First thing I noticed was the nickel finish looked dull compared to the other five I own and they felt sticky. Turns out the shells were sprayed or dipped in some kind of "clear" conformal coating like lacquer or urethane. I stripped it off with acetone and lubed the insides of the shell with mag slick. That coating might account for the "sticking follower syndrome" I read somebody complain about. Not sure why anybody would put that on a nickel plated part.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Disclaimer.......Do at your own risk, I know nada about the legality of this.....

I've bought cheapo mags, and new mags bodies. I then step on/crush/mangle the old mag body and put it away for legal purposes, and put together a new mag. I've done this with old glock mags and scherer bodies, don't know how it will work with a Para.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts