1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some after-market mags for my Super .38 Colt from a fellow here on the forum. While the factory mags work normally, the after-market magazines require that I hold in the mag release button while inserting the mag. If I don't hold in the button, the mag stops halfway in. (I haven't tried to force it.) Other than that, the new mags function well. No feeding jams and no issues on ejecting the magazines, but I won't carry the new mags... only the factory mags.

Anyone seen something similar? Is there a way to fix that?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've had to put a small bevel on the mag release of two of my pistols. The lip of the mag hits square on the release. A slight bend on the factory mags pushes it out of the way.
Paul

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes, you can bevel the mag catch or the offending edge of the magazine. In most cases, just insert the mag, give the mag a good smack and the parts will self bevel.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I'll try a slight mod to the mags. Can't bring myself to slam a magazine into my only pistol from the Colt Custom shop.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Tax... do you practice tap and rack drills? You aren't going to hurt anything by giving the mag a good smack on the bottom, there aren't any parts in contact that will deform or break. She may be from a custom shop, but its still a tool, and if you fire it, something will scratch or get a ding.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'll smack home the factory mags, but these third-party magazines hit a definite stopping point, and I haven't felt comfortable trying to muscle them past the resistance. I'd rather change something on the mags than something on the pistol.

I agree with you that guns and knives are meant to be used!:rock:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Does an empty mag behave the same way?

I had a similar problem with a Springfield 5" SS Loaded. The rim of the top round was catching at the top of the rectangular "window" (between the trigger bow and top of the window). I polished a very slight bevel on that surface and the problem was solved. This was with the Springfield mags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts