378 Posts
Metalform round follower
Wilson 7 round
Pachmayr 7 round
MecGar 7 round
MecGar 8 round w/plastic base (MecGar marked only, not bulk
packed unmarked ones)
Mitchell Arms Powermag (CMC)

I've never had a failure from any of these mags though I distrust the Powermags since every other Shooting Star equipped mag I've used caused problems.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
5 CMC 10 round powermags
1 CMC 10 round shooting star
3 CMC 8 round shooting stars
1 Kimber 7 round factory
2 USGI 7 round mags

100% reliable, any one works as well as another.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How many mags does a person really need? I don't mean this to be sarcastic...although some of you have clearly wandered into magazine obsession land...;)

I have been trying to decide if I should buy some more mags or not. I have 5 now...and generally usually carry 3 daily (one in gun with two spares) and that leaves two in the car in case things get really ugly. Of course, if they get that ugly, my AR-15 is in the car as well.

Even in IPSC/IDPA it seems that one would rarely need more than 36 rounds for a single stage.

Let me into the minds of you magazine gurus!!!!

BTW, I am more used to Glock hi-caps....so three of them still held many more than all five of my current magazines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
some times it isn't about what you need but what is nice to have when I am shooting a match whether it be GSSF or IDPA or bowling pins it is nice to have mags loaded for the entire match so you are always ahead of the game instead of always catching up.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ch-po said:
How many mags does a person really need? I don't mean this to be sarcastic...although some of you have clearly wandered into magazine obsession land...;)

-snip-
A semi auto pistol without a magazine is an inefficient single shot.

Don't forget that a lot of people shoot competitions where having many mags is convenient, if not required.

Now if you want to see obsession, wander on over to AR15.com. Some of those guys have a years salary in magazines.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Total I have 24 good mags plus a few in the junk pile. It's nice to load up the night before I go to the range and not have to waste precious trigger time reloading mags.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Obsession?

I have:

2 - Black Kimber 7-round
8 - Stainless Kimber 8-round
4 - Shooting Star 8-round
5 - Stainless Kimber 7-round Officers
8 - Wilson 8-round
2 - Pachmayr 10-round
2 - McCormick 10-round

Although I've read many posts critisizing the Kimber mags, in my guns, they have functioned 100%. They are also economical to purchase. They are usally $15-20.

I had one Wilson that would FTF. This drove me nuts, because when I tried to diagnose the source of the problem, I assumed that my problem couldn't be blamed on a Wilson mag. I went through a couple of new extractors, polished the breach face, and repeated tunings. Then I started logging exactly which mag was used when the failures occured. Eureka! 10 failures out of 200 rounds all occured with the same mag. I have to admit, Wilson was great about it. They replaced the mag, no questions asked.

The Shooting Stars have worked just as well as the Kimber mags.

I got the Pachmayr mags off of a close out table at a gun store here in town. IIRC I only paid $15 for 2 mags. These things are totaly unreliable. Lots of FTF's and often won't lock back on an empty mag. The springs feel realy weak, maybe I should look for replacement springs from Wolff.

I just got the 10-round McCormicks at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. I have only taken them to the range once and I had a few FTF's.

ch-po,

My dream is to load the mags before I leave the house and have enough to not bother with reloading mags at the match. I'm close, maybe Santa will leave a few more in my stocking.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the insight. I never really thought much about loading the mags prior to a range session. I never really minded reloading between strings. It gives me something to do while others are shooting, and when I am alone for practice sessions...stopping to pick up brass and reload gives me a chance to think about what I just did or what I need to do next.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pro CDP-

1 Kimber 7rnd with new style follower - like Mecgar
1 Mecgar 8rnd
2 Wilson 47DC - used the most, especially for carry.

Compact Alum-

2 Kimber - CMC style - Retired to avoid Alum frame damage
2 Wilson 47OXC

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have 1 magazine that came with my Kimber Stainless II that works every time. And 2 CMC 8 round Shooting Star Powermags that do not fail me either. I just bought a Custom Eclipse II and have not fired it yet, but I plan to get some of the black 8 round Wilsons, 47DCB I think they are.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
ch-po said:
How many mags does a person really need?

Even in IPSC/IDPA it seems that one would rarely need more than 36 rounds for a single stage.

Let me into the minds of you magazine gurus!!

I have 17 mags because I SO the IDPA matches I shoot. I like to load up before the match and not have to worry about it. Nobody likes to wait on a shooter to load his/her mags and since I am the So I don't have a lot of free time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How many mags does a person really need? I don't mean this to be sarcastic...although some of you have clearly wandered into magazine obsession land...
If using your 1911 to shoot PPC, you technically only need 4 mags. However, in an indoor match, you'll be holding everyone else up if you don't have 10 loaded mags. Outdoor PPC match iwll take even more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
BobRowe said:
If using your 1911 to shoot PPC, you technically only need 4 mags. However, in an indoor match, you'll be holding everyone else up if you don't have 10 loaded mags. Outdoor PPC match iwll take even more.
Question: What is PPC?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts