1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used MAGTECH brass for reloading? If so how is it? MIDWAY has it on sale for $81.99 (PLUS SHIPPING) for 1,000 cases for 45 ACP. Is this a good price?

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
If this is 45 Magtech ammo with "CBC" on the brass then I must recommend that it not be used for reloading. I had a large percentage of rounds from CBC brass that took very little pressure to push the bullet into the case. Thinking I may have just had a bad batch I tried again a few months later. Same results. I really wanted to use it because I can pick up all I want at our local range. I know individuals that use it and get away with it but I will not use it anymore.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I use it...I really like the loaded ammo as well...The only thing I've noticed is that if I'm mixing brass, I have to full length resize all of it and to make sure I'm gettin' a good "edge" I trim it...

...If that's too much trouble for ya'...just dump it...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Magtech brass with CBC on the headstamp is what I am using. It works fine for me, but I have reduced the diameter of my expanding plug to eliminate the loose bullet fit problem. I previously encountered the problem with Remington and some other types of brass, so the plug reduction was done long ago. I never noticed the problem with CBC brass because the cure preceeded the Magtech brass.

A tight bullet fit is a good idea, and many expanding plugs are too large. I chuck them in a drill and run the expander against sandpaper until the plug is small enough that loaded rounds have a slight hourglass shape. This completely prevents setback and seems to have no effect on accuracy one way or the other.

This is particularly helpful with some Dillon "powder drop" expander plugs. On rounds that have been roll crimped, the Dillon plug can hang up on the case mouth momentarily. When it then drives on into the case, the powder measure is jolted and has on occasion (in .38 Special) thrown a slight overcharge of powder. Reducing the plug diameter a bit solves this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts