1911Forum banner

Magwells

1101 8
I am a brand new Kimber owner. After shooting revolvers for years I am a newbie 1911 owner. I have a question about magwells. I see them on some of the guns pictured on this site and not on others. What are the advantages or any disadvantages of adding a magwell. Thanks for you patience and assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Well the advantages would be faster easier reloads and you would get rid of the factory plastic mainspring housing. I guess it would give a little protection to the frame if the pistol was dropped.

The disadvantages if it's a carry gun would be a little more weight and the grip is longer and a little harder to conceal than a shorter grip. A different set of grips are needed if you want them to blend in with the magwell.

Other than the above I guess it depends if you like the looks of them.

· Registered
273 Posts
Personally I love the look. I added it to my Warrior and then when I bought a Pro Carry, I knew it needed one too!

The extra 1/4" when carrying doesn't bother me. They do seem to be a little faster to reload.

Here is my Warrior and Pro Carry with them on.

· Registered
596 Posts
There are many different brands. However the ones posted above by Unforgiven look like Smith & Alexander mag wells.

Unforiven, please confirm mnfr. Thanks.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
unforgiven5150 said:
Personally I love the look. I added it to my Warrior and then when I bought a Pro Carry, I knew it needed one too!

The extra 1/4" when carrying doesn't bother me. They do seem to be a little faster to reload.

Here is my Warrior and Pro Carry with them on.
To me, I don't like the way a 1911 loks w/o one - They mage the gun look better.

I like those grios on your stainless 1911. Those and the Punisher grips look sweet. But, if I ever had to use the gun in self defense, I wouldn't want those kinda grips on it. I suppose if I ever get enough guns, and I keep some for ONLY range use, then I can do that w/o worrying.

· Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, that discussion has been brought up before. I think some people just like to comment on those things.

I don't worry about the type of grips for a self defense shoot. If I shoot someone in self defense and get a scumbag anti-gun DA with his own agenda, they would just come up with another reason if I didn't have those. Like a 150+ 12" realistic action figures in my room or my military history books. Plus, living in AZ, it it is so gun-friendly here, I doubt they would be an issue.

In all likelihood, I never will have to use it in self defense, so I don't concern my self with a little detail like that if it did. Its my carry gun. My home gun is a Sig 226 and a 12 gauge. A home invasion defense is much more likely in my area.

Do you think having them on a gun that was strictly "range use" would make any difference if you shoot someone? They will probably confiscate all your guns or at the very least inventory what you have. Just owning them would probably be enough for them to use it against you if they wanted to.

But, as I said, I don't worry about little things like that. If its a good shoot, you have nothing to worry about, IMHO. Plus once they found out it is an alien skull from a Star Wars character, they would know I was a big kid and a Star Wars geek! Hardly screams "bad ass" or "kill happy". More like computer geek or sci fi nerd! LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.