1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told on the phone by a major manufacturer that I could legally mail by USPS Priority mail in a box my defective six shooter from my home post office back to the manufacturer for repairs. They said this is a law that specifically allows handgun owners to mail by the US Post Office their handguns back to the manufacturer for service and repair. They said this is a little known law and may be denied by my local Post Office in today's political climate, and I should say, if asked, that the package is "machine parts", but that it is completely legal. I have searched on the web, and haven't found this.
Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
948 Posts
On one occasion I told them I was shipping machine parts - but only when I was shipping a non-receiver part (in that case it was an AR15 barrel that I sent to have fluted and some other "cool" stuff done to it).

I've sent several pistols back to manufacturerer (one ot Khar, several to SA). I had to:
- Ship the pistols from the UPS HUB station, NOT a UPS store or other vendor, they simply wouldn't take it
- The pistol had to be shipped overnight (it's their policy, I guess)

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's also my experience. I recently shipped a gun back to Kimber. They told me it had to be overnighted from a UPS or Fed Ex hub. You declare it a firearm. I did't specifically ask about USPS but they didn't mention it as an alternative either.

Oh, yes, I insured it!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've sent a revolver to Mag-Na-Port to have some work done to it.

I sent it out UPS overnight - they didn't ask what it was, and I didn't tell them. I put it securely bubble-wrapped in a box filled with packing peanuts and packed it in good. Then I wrote fragile on the box.

UPS has an overnight policy, but their policy for notifying their counter clerk is it has to be a verbal notification.

In my case, I simply neglected to inform anyone what I was shipping, and it got to Mag-Na-Port, and back to me, just fine.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
sks-er said:
I was just told on the phone by a major manufacturer that I could legally mail by USPS Priority mail in a box my defective six shooter from my home post office back to the manufacturer for repairs. They said this is a law that specifically allows handgun owners to mail by the US Post Office their handguns back to the manufacturer for service and repair. They said this is a little known law and may be denied by my local Post Office in today's political climate, and I should say, if asked, that the package is "machine parts", but that it is completely legal. I have searched on the web, and haven't found this.
Thanks for any comments.
To my understanding unless you are a holder of an FFL you can not mail a handgun.
As a matter of fact to my understanding a person that does not have an FFL would be breaking Federal law just by taking the handgun in the post office.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well
My brother sent me some of my guns by the US Postal Service.
He called the postmaster to confirm.
He brought them to the PO and took them into the Post Masters office.
Unpacked them showed they were unloaded, firing mechanism removed.
Repacked them in front of the PM and sent them off to me.
I received them in several days in very good condition.
This was from a big city to a smaller city.

PS I don't think we will ever go through that trouble again.

·
Administrator
73,799 Posts
You guys better check with either the USPS main office or BATF. Last I checked, mailing a handgun for any reason through the post office is illegal. Only FFL holders can do it. It wouldn't surprise me that a small-town post office is ignorant of the rules, but I wouldn't bet a cherished handgun and my clean record on it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
supertac45 said:
FFL holders only may use the USPS.
This is absolutely correct, but there is another way to skin this cat. I needed to send a gun back to the manufacturer for repairs, and the guy who runs my gun club gave me a signed copy of his FFL and told me to take it to the Post Office and tell them I was shipping a gun for him. I did just that and the post master looked at the signed copy of the FFL and said that was fine. You will need to use an FFL who knows and trusts you, of course, in order to use this method. A gun shop would laugh you out the door if you asked for a signed copy of his FFL.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You CAN NOT LEGALLY MAIL A HANDGUN UNLESS IT'S IN ASSOCIATION WITH AN FFL!
(With police & military exceptions, in small print. :) )
If you intentionally mislabel and/or misdeclare the contents with a HANDGUN, you violate the federal regs, and at the very least risk non-payment of any insurance monies if it gets lost along the way.
You CAN mail a LONG GUN to a manufacturer or repair facility without an FFL.
That's permitted under the law, but NOT handguns that are capable of firing "fixed ammunition" (cartridges). Antiques & reproductions that do not accept fixed ammo can be mailed without FFL.

I would very much like to know what company told you otherwise.
You can SHIP handguns via either UPS or FEDEX without an FFL, to maker or repair facility.

And, regarding Federal law violation in taking a gun into the PO, it's ambiguous. Perfectly legal to take a rifle or shotgun on the premises & mail it on the one hand, while the rules say essentially "No guns unless on official business" on the other hand.
The kicker would fall into the definition of "official business".
I regularly mail long guns (did so with a Marlin two days ago) at two different US Post Offices. Only had to educate counter clerks twice over the years. :)

Denis

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
ben589 said:
I sent it out UPS overnight - they didn't ask what it was, and I didn't tell them. I put it securely bubble-wrapped in a box filled with packing peanuts and packed it in good. Then I wrote fragile on the box.
:biglaugh:

I did the same, except the "fragile" comment.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I'd also like to hear the name of the manufacturer. It's particularly alarming that the manufacturer's employee recommended lying about the contents.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
At the Tulsa gun show in October, I was talking to the Magna-Port people about the possibility of getting my Smith Model 686 ported. They advised me that if I removed the cylinder from the revolver, I could ship them the "frame" via Priority Mail. I questioned them several times about that issue, since it didn't "square" with what I had read previously in this forum. They insisted they were correct in what they were telling me.

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
Let me sum it up......

Many people are FRIGGING STUPID!

This includes USPS employees.

Learn to read. Your local college offers reading courses.

:dope:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ahhh, a voice from home

Chuck is from my hometown, and answers with the bluntness for which we were trained.:D

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Rod,
The Magna-Port people who told you that were very wrong, and that surprises me. They've certainly been around long enough to know better.
Denis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts