1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I searched through this area but couldn't find anything on the main spring pin. I have a S&W 1911 and the damn thing keeps walking out on me. I put it back in place last night and after 40 rounds today it walked back out. Any tips on how to keep it in place?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Banned
1,866 Posts

mainspring retainer pin (part #30) should put tension on the groove in the mainspring housing pin (part #29) to keep it from walking out.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Note the illustration... it isn't clear but the head of the pin is toward the frame. It is captured by the mainspring housing when it is installed. Just install it from the back of the housing and it can't walk out.Courtesy of JMB. Joe

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to figure out which of the two pins was being discussed. Pin #29 or 27

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I assumed he meant 29, and that perhaps part 30 was installed upside down, and not retaining 29 like it was supposed to.
Yeah, 27 is installed with the mainspring housing dismounted, and the sear spring holds it in when the gun is assembled.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
But it is possible to install 27 from the wrong side, no? I've never tried it, but it's a straight pin with a beveled head, so it could be done I'd think.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You could stick 27 in the back but it wouldn't sit flush and would be pretty obvious I think. I would Imagine he's talking about 29, when I first got my gun 29 had a burr on one side of the head that I didn't notice, and it was my first 1911 so I wouldn't have known any better if I had seen it. Well after hammering it through, I knew what I had done, when I saw that it had gouged a path all the way through. I filed the burr off and stuck it back in when I was done, and after that it started walkin out as I was shooting, but not as drastic as the OP's. I bought a new S&W pin from midway, it arrived without a burr and doesn't walk at all stays put perfectly.

Before anyone says that I should have sent the gun back, I would have, but I wanted to bob the frame anyway, but until I get that done its not noticeable unless you have the pin out.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Yep I may have misinterpreted the pin in question...But jneumann...which pin walks out? Joe

·
Premium Member
11,645 Posts
KYSW1911Sc said:
You could stick 27 in the back but it wouldn't sit flush and would be pretty obvious I think. ... when I first got my gun 29 had a burr on one side of the head that I didn't notice... I saw that it had gouged a path all the way through. ...it started walkin out as I was shooting, but not as drastic as the OP's. I bought a new S&W pin from midway, it arrived without a burr and doesn't walk at all stays put perfectly...
I've seen it done ( #27 inserted wrong) along with hammer and sear pins inserted from the right side, ...by a mountain phase Ranger instructor no less! And this was pre Beretta M9. If your mainspring housing pin (# 29) is walking out, something is very wrong.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Is there an anular groove around the pin? There should be, if not hie yourself to Brownells and buy one. The pin goes in from the left to the right (convex end to right, concave end to the left).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Its pin 29 that is walking. There is a beveled edge (left side) and a rounded (ball) edge (right side). Its walking out on the rounded edge side after a a couple of clips. Do you guys still think it is something installed incorrectly with the main spring assembly?

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Yes, the pin (shown in the first photo below) is supposed to have a concave end and a convex end. The key to it not walking, though is around the middle. The correct MSH pin - has a groove around it . . .

This next photo's upside down. The point of the retainer fits into the groove around the middle of the pin. . . .

The latter photo is upside down. The point of the retainer fits into the grove in the pin preventing the pin from walking.

I can't see how the pin could walk if you have both parts installed. Sometimes, folks reassemble MSHs and neglet to put the retainer in, though. Does yours have the correct pin (with the groove around the middle? And does it have the pointy retainer inside the MSH?

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
If the parts are installed correctly as stated, #29 (mainspring housing retainer pin) is grooved, then part #30 (the mainspring retainer) may not be peaking far enough the bore for #29. I'd remove the mainspring housing and look through the pin hole. If you don't see the tip of #30 peaking into the hole for housing pin, the hole through which extends may not be relieve enough (had this once on a major name mainspring housing).
Udder than that, a closer look may be in order...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts