1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all mainspring housings interchangable?

Want to change out the plastic for SS on my 9 & 10. Are they all the same or different from caliber to caliber?

Sorry for the stupid question, just never changed one out before.

Thx:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,301 Posts
Your Kimbers will take the same as any other Gov't size frame. Sometimes there is a little fitting involved, but nothing major. Stay with a name brand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fitting might be required to get the grip safety working properly. It's simple... function check, file, function check...repeat as needed.

I use the Wilson Speed-Chute on my Kimbers. It's a mag well and a MSH all in one package.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ktulu said:
Fitting might be required to get the grip safety working properly.
I put an Ed Brown on my Custom II and it fit the frame perfectly. The only problem was with the grip safety. It didn't retract enough and left the firing pin block lifter arm (push rod) protruding from the frame about 3/64" and you couldn't install the slide.

I just removed the lifter arm and installed a series 70 firing pin to solve that problem. The grip safety functions like it's supposed to, only with less effort.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I put an Ed Brown MSH/well on mine too. Had the same issue as winter_war. I filed down the ears of the MSH till the FPB rod would retract enough to allow the slide to go back on the pistol. Fit was perfect in all other respects. The MSH portion of the job took maybe 20 minutes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I put in a Wilson MSH in my Custom II
It dropped in just fine - didn't have to touch anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts