1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim,

I have a TRS and didn't get any kind of instructions with the pistol.

How often should I change the recoil and firing pin springs. What brand and weight springs do you recommend.

Are there any other thing that I should do to properly maintain the pistol. Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi
USMC03

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im not Jim, nor do i play him on the internet, but i have a TRS.. The FBI swat`s were told to change there recoil springs every 5,000 rnds, and the mag springs every 2,500 rnds, or twice a year whichever comes first, to give you an idea.. Wolff and/or Wilson springs are the only ones i buy, 18-1/2 lbs for the recoil spring.. as for maintenance i just keep it clean and lubed.. Hope this helps Jim may have more to add, so i`ll yield to him now.. -Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I'm not Jim either nor do I play him on television or the internet. However, the weight of the recoil spring is dependent upon the type of ammo you shoot through the TRS.

Do you primarily shoot 230 gr factory hard ball or do you shoot reloads? If shoot reloads, are they on the lighter side? IDPA?

18.5 lbs is great for factory loads

16.5 lbs for a tweener

12 lbs for light loads

10 lbs for very light loads

I have an 18.5 lb spring in my carry gun and 12 lb in my target gun.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shoot mostly Federal 230gr Hydra Shok and Sellier & Belliot 230gr FMJ. Main uses are for duty and IDPA.

I have been using Wolff gunspings for years, any recomendations on brands.

Semper Fi
USMC03

·
Registered
359 Posts
USMCO3,All our springs are made by Wolf.
Just so you know the recoil spring is a18.5lb.F.P.spring is a extra power.The mainspring is a 21lb.I like to change my recoil springs at 3000rds.

------------------
Jim Budde

1 - 7 of 7 Posts