1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what are they? Let's assume you keep 6 Wilson 47D's fully loaded bedside and shoot between 1,000-2,000 rounds per year.

When should you clean them? What if they haven't been dropped in the mud and only have a thin layer of carbon on them?

When should you change out the mag springs? And, BTW, I don't believe that the constant force of being loaded weakens the springs -- it's the cycling of the springs. Should you change them every 1,000 rounds? Every 1 year, 2 years, etc.?

Please give me some idea about what I should be doing.

And why does it seem like 30 round USGI AR15 mags are SO much more tolerant than 1911 mags? In terms of maintenance and spring life. And AR15's are suppose to be finicky (I've NEVER had one of my Colt's jam on me in 2,000+ rounds)?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I try to clean my magazines after every other range session. I have several Wilson #47, 7 round mags, and I rotate them.

The loaded magazine in the gun and the loaded spares are always clean.

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I clean my mags every 3rd or 4th range trip. I replace the mag springs once a year.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a dozen McCormick Power Mags that are strictly for duty use. I carry three at a time, one in the gun and two in the pouch. I change out about every 3 months and clean the mags then. By doing it like this I always have plenty of fresh clean mags to use. My other odd and ends mags get cleaned after a qual or range work, usually a wipe down and dunk in Eds Red to flush out the big pieces, drip dry and into a ammo can for the next trip. If I have a mag that is causing problems I get rid of it if a spring job or lip check wont cure it. Usually I spray paint the bottom red and use it for a failure drill, it very seldom gets a real cleaning, just a wipe and toss in the box.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
If I drop a mag in the dirt, it gets brushed on the spot. All mags get brushed and wiped off after each range session. If one mag acts up (one failed to drop free yesterday), they all get a more detailed inspection. When one spring went soft, I replaced them all. As long as they're all working, I just keep them clean.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RickB:

Yeah, that's usually about all I do. If there's mud or a heavy rain thrown into the mix, then I'd do a detailed cleaning. Otherwise I just wipe them down with a silicone cloth and inspect them.

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Any others would be appreciated.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just learned a big lesson today...I clean my beloved 1911's within 24 hours after shooting them...but my poor magazines have been neglected...I have about 8 Wilson magazines that get used a lot...some more than others...I havn't cleaned them in over six months...or about 3000 rounds...and all but one of them came clean...I had to use a toothbrush to scrub the inside of them out and they were nasty...I will put them on a regular cleaning schedule hereafter...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts