1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this and a few other forums I am thinking about getting a makarov but I have a few questions/concerns.

Do you foresee the availability of 9x18 ammo to ever become a problem?

What is a good self defense round?

I've noticed that some of the ammo is steel case. Will using this ammo cause accelerated wear on the pistol?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Well, I certainly cannot predict the furture, but so far buying 9x18mm Mak at VERY good prices and in bulk has not been a problem.

With respect to self-protection, the 9x18mm Makarov might be thought of as just at or above .380 +P levels. It's not a 9mm, .40 or .45, to be sure, but in normal trim, it throws a 95 grain bullet at a bit over a thousand feet per second. I consider it at the bottom end of what I personally consider acceptable. Others may feel differently.

Where the gun existed in decades past, its primary diet was with steel-cased ammunition. While I do NOT use such in any of my other pistols, I 've had zero problems or accelerated wear in using it in the Makarov.

This link concerns some information and thoughts on the Makarov if interested:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/makarov.htm

Best.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Those Russian designed the pistol to use steel cased ammo. Hey if your extractor ever wore out, you can pick up another for super cheap. It will not break, never.

9X18 will kill someone in a shooting as long as you do your part.

9X18 is sooo easy to find nowadays. IF it ever became a problem getting, you could rebarrel into a .380 pretty easy.

I own two of these pistols, one being a Bulgy 9X18 and the other is a Russian commercal .380 stainless.
I like the 9X18 better than the 380 becaue it is more genuine. Both pistols are super fun to shoot , and these pistols are my primary carry pistols.

Get these guns now, before prices start to go up, which the bulgies kinda have already. You can still get a Makarov and accessories for under $200

You will not regret it

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ditto to the above replys! I have a Russian Mak that I put a Beast slide with Novack sight on and it is a wonderful pistol! They are reliable and accurate, and powerful enough for the job, if you pick your shot. As for the ammo question, I put in a supply of Starline brass and load my own, but that is not really worthwile as ammo for them is cheap-buy one!

Byrd

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ammo availability for any gun is no big deal if you have the means to stockpile sufficient quantities.

With Mak ammo running under $150/1000 shipped for decent food, you can just order more every time you hit the 500 round mark.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Folk like to talk alot about how durable the GLOCKs are. I would be surprised if long after the last GLOCK crumbles into dust a little Makrov isn't still just chugging along. They may not be indestructable but they are about as close as you're gonna get.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
cliffjr, my mother used to say I couldn't keep a secret and here I go telling another one. My friend, Stephen A. Camp (SAC), would never have bought a Makarov if I hadn't continuously said how good they were. I damned near nagged SAC until he bought one and now he has two. These are one great buy and very good shooters. The photo is my Bulgie with Novak night sights and hard chrome by Virgil Tripp. Do I carry and shoot it? YOU BETCHA!Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Do you foresee the availability of 9x18 ammo to ever become a problem?

I worried about this years ago when the Russian and East German Maks were selling everywhere. I passed on these pistols then. I regret that now. 9X18 ammo is everywhere, almost as common as 9mm. I don't see that changing.

What is a good self defense round?

Shot placement means everything. The Mak is reliable and accurate enough to get the job done. You might have to put two bullets into the BG, to get 190gr in him, but you will have a few to spare afterwards.

I've noticed that some of the ammo is steel case. Will using this ammo cause accelerated wear on the pistol?

No, the Makarov is designed for this stuff, just like the AK is. The laquer on the steel case might create a need for more frequent cleaning though.

For $130, this is a humdinger of a deal. It's a great carry pistol, and would command a much higher price if it were not a Soviet Bloc Mil-Surp. If S&W or Glock made this pistol, it would be near $500. Don't pass on it like I did in the early ninties. I'm still kicking myself!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just one other thing. At a recent gun show they were selling Bulgies still in cosmo for $225. And what is even more amazing, there were buyers.

Snag a couple from Dan's now before he gets a chance to visit one of these shows. ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
XavierBreath, I paid $170 for an East German Mak with 500 rounds of ammo about three weeks ago. That was one hell of a deal but I fear those days are gone. I am sure $165 is a more realistic price and Maks are worth every cent of it. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I just pulled $130 out of my rear because that is what I last saw them running for in Shot Gun News. After shipping and FFL you are looking at $150-$180. The Bulgy Maks are worth whatever you will pay for them. I would be willing to pay up to $250 myself, but not while I could find them cheaper!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the ammo ever dries up you can change the barrel for a few bucks and convert it to 380.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Which tends to be the best maker of these odd little pistols? I'd kind of prefer an east german, but can they still be had new?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Maker in all honesty doesn't mean a thing if you're going to shoot it.

New surplus (oxymoron of the day) EG are exceedingly expensive for what they are these days - $350 and up.

The Mak isn't nearly as cool at that price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts